Re: Major Windows screw-up: delayed flights at all US airports

____/ Richard Rasker on Tuesday 26 August 2008 20:49 : \____

http://www.informationweek.com/news/management/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199902832

> But howcome that "Linux" is listed as OS?
>
> When will people ever learn that Windows is utter crap, designed to be sold,
> not trusted?
>
> Richard Rasker

Not the first time BTW:

Major Flight Delays Caused By Glitch, Dense Fog

,----[ Quote ]
| AMR Corp.'s American Airlines spokesman Tim Wagner acknowledged the
| computer troubles and said the nation's largest carrier experienced
| about 50 cancellations on the East Coast, with LaGuardia departures
| being hit the hardest.
`----

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_159145243.html

FAA is to blame, IIRC.

FAA has already considered moving to GNU/Linux and it's stubbornly rejecting
Vista.

No Windows Vista For Would-Be Air Traffic Controllers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Federal Aviation Administration plans to bar contractors who administer
| the air traffic controllers exam from using Windows Vista-based PCs.
`----

http://callcenterinfo.tmcnet.com/news/2008/07/11/3541592.htm

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Can Google and Linux Topple Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| The story had a certain flair. In early March, the chief information
| officer of the Federal Aviation Administration, David Bowen, was
| reportedly considering forsaking Microsoft Windows and Office in
| favor of the Linux operating system and the Web-based Google Apps
| Premium office suite.

- --
"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
On Microsoft analyst.