[News] [Old] Another Old Case of Microsoft Exploiting Academics

Microsoft secretly paid for ads for Independent Institute

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft paid for newspaper ads claiming to represent the independent views
| of 240 academic experts who said the government's antitrust case against the
| software giant was hurting consumers.
|
| The story "Microsoft secretly paid for ads for Independent Institute"
| published September 18, 1999 at 5:30 AM is no longer available on CNET
| News.com.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-234780.html&tag=st.cn..

"I am convinced we have to use Windows – this is the one thing they don’t have.
We have to be competitive with features, but we need something more — Windows
integration."
                --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Related:

- From E-mail:

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0%402-651865,36-991097%4051-991184,0.html

,----[ Quote ]
| As you see, it's in French but it is short and sweet.  It refers to an
| article published in the Swiss newspaper Le Temps on Monday (available for a
| payment of 2.50 Swiss francs.)  But I find the Le Monde article
| sufficient and can offer a translation:
|
|      1,445: number of students in the world paid by Microsoft to
|      promote favourable speech in their universities
|
|      "How Microsoft has infiltrated the Swiss universities" was the
|      title of the Monday Le Temps.  The Genevean newspaper pointed to
|      these students charged with "forging links with their peers and
|      the professors" to improve the image of Bill Gates' firm in the
|      universities.  The program "Microsoft Student Partners" is not at
|      all clandestine, it has an official Website at
|      "http://student-partners.com";.  It is no longer at all local: the
|      1,445 students at the service of Microsoft are active in 102
|      countries.  In France, more than 100 students carry the title MSP
|      and correspond with the Microsoft teams during their whole time in
|      school.  These French students have actively participated in the
|      launch of the Vista operating system, organising 87 conferences
|      and stands, leading 17 training sessions and moderating 42 blogs.
`----

Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://chronicle.com/data/articles.dir/art-44.dir/issue-33.dir/33a03001.htm