Re: Netbook Prices Are Now Falling

On Aug 24, 6:23 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> >> For instance, imo a netbook, with perhaps the ability to plug in a bigger
> >> monitor and full-size K/B when at the desk, is probably more than enough?
>
> > We may be on our way to a bloatware antidote!
>
> Isn't "netbook" a dangerous trademark? ARM is enetring this market soon and
> maybe AMD as well. A low-end laptop (or sub-notebook) has nothing to do with
> just one corrupt company that bribed and sabotaged a charity only to slap its
> trademarks on the very same 'invention', which forced it to end the
> price-fixing gig.

My guess is that "NetBook" is just the first of many trademarks to
come out for the sub-notebook class.  One of the things that has
always amazed me in the talent for Madison Avenue (corporate
marketing) to repackage open source and make it completely acceptable,
simply by using a different trademark or technical term.

Linux servers on the internal corporate network = Intranet.
Linux servers providing ipsec access to corparate networks = VPN
Linux servers provding read only access = Browser
Linux servers with addressable content via application://host/path/file
notation = Web
Linux servers providing dial-up access to the Internet = ISP
Linux servers providing fast storage access = NAS or SAN
Open Source providing ability to pass messages in batch mode = e-mail
Open Source providing the ability to pass messages in real time = chat
or instant messaging.
A bunch of Linux servers strapped together = grid computing
A bunch of Linux servers providing desktop applications = cloud
computing

The list goes on and on.  Often, the Linux/OSS software gets moved to
a proprietary Unix, or to a Linux "Appliance", and becomes an very
successful LINE of products, but the Linux trademark disappears,
because Linus and the GPL do not require that it be displayed.

Linux running on very small and cheap sub-notebook computers  will
probably get 3 or 4 monikers before somebody picks a generic term that
becomes synonymous with the device class.