[News] Kinoma: Linux Quadruples Windows in Ubiquity, Beats Apple at Value

Other smart phones are people too, says ex-Apple team

,----[ Quote ]
| Support for a second platform is due by the end of the year. Hoddie would not
| say what that platform will be, but noted: "We really like Linux - the OEMs
| are using Linux under the covers. It works beautifully there."
|
| Linux would certainly have more to offer for Kinoma than Windows: Linux
| accounts for about 19 per cent of the smart-phone market versus around five
| per cent for Windows, according to various figures. Linux is expected to
| outsell Windows by 2013. Symbian, of course, remains the market leader.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/25/kenoma_media_browser/

Why does Apple Always Seem to Get a Break???

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux. This is the only platform that is not a prison. You are really free
| with Linux. People are congregating at will, building creative new
| structures. Yeah – maybe it isn’t as pretty as the luxury hotel prison that
| is Apple, but at least we are free. In the end it isn’t prison walls that win
| in technology. CompuServe and AOL were beaten by the internet. Centrally
| controlled mainframes were killed by the PC. Over time the best technology
| comes from innovation in unexpected places and while we are occasionally
| wooed by the pretty sounds of “You’ve Got Mail” or the stunning design of a
| new iPhone; we have all seen this movie before and know how it ends.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2008/08/24/why-does-apple-always-seem-to-get-a-break/

Related:

Linux-Powered Smartphone Use on the Rise

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux smartphone technology will see its fastest growth, with annual growth
| rates as high as 75 percent, in the 2007 to 2012 period.
`----

http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21243

Linux the fastest-growing smartphone OS

,----[ Quote ]