[News] Sub-notebooks Run GNU/Linux, Here to Thrive

3 Must Have Linux-powered Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm planning to acquire a small, ultra-lightweight, low-cost, and
| Linux-powered subnotebook before the end of the year. So, I began doing some
| research (used Google), and started my quest to find the perfect netbook.
|
| Of the many netbooks currently available, and also those that are soon to be
| released, I only have 3 favorites. And, if I were to buy today, I will
| definitely get either one of the three. I'll share to you my current list of
| must have Linux-powered netbooks.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/3-must-have-linux-powered-netbooks.html

Mini-notebooks are here to stay

,----[ Quote ]
| At the recent LinuxWorld trade show in San Francisco, I chaired a panel on
| OEMs and desktop Linux. Among others, I had Jim Mann, an HP Technology
| Strategist; John Hull, Dell's Linux Engineering, Manager and Debra
| Kobs-Fortner, Lenovo's Director of Software Strategy. All of them agreed that
| UMPCs are not a fad. Instead, the consensus was that users seem to be
| adopting them as secondary computers. At first, vendors thought that these
| would be home computers. Asus believed, believe it or not, that they'd sell
| mostly to women in their 30s and 40s who stayed at home.
|
| Instead, business users - many, many business users -- are the ones picking
| up the UMPCs. That's even better news from a Linux perspective since you can
| incorporate desktop Linux into even a Microsoft business network while you
| can't do that with XP Home.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/mini_notebooks_are_here_to_stay

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Linux success on UMPCs nudges Microsoft’s XP strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| To that point, Ubuntu is releasing a UMPC-only version of Ubuntu 8.04 called
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix for Intel Atom-based netbooks and UMPCs. Because many
| current users of Linux-powered UMPCs may not even know they’re using open
| source, the hope is that more obvious “branding” will result in more people
| willing to run Linux on their primary PCs.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=218

The year of the Linux … Mini Laptop!

,----[ Quote ]