Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better

  • Subject: Re: GNU/Linux: Lighter is Sometimes Better
  • From: "Psyc Geek (TAB)" <psycgeeks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:41:16 -0700 (PDT)
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Linux: Low end capable does not mean inferior
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One of the things that Microsoft has been silently beating Linux over the
> | head with for the past couple of years is that, since Linux works so well on
> | older, and lower end PC's, it is an inferior, obsolete, and outdated OS.  I
> | find FUD like this to be a bit annoying, as the inverse is true of Windows.
> | An OS that is so bloated, resource hungry, and restrictive that it can only
> | run on high end PC's does not mean it's a superior OS.  In fact, I'd say
> | that's quite the opposite.

It has no bearing on who is superior.  I
But I am with ya.  You go get your 80mhtz machine back out and tell
the kids to run that.
Don't forget the 13 inch monitor.

HAHHAHAHA.

> | [...]
> |
> | Now, I'm not here to bash Microsoft, per se.  But I did at least want to
> | silence this long standing stream of blatant and fabricated FUD and lies
> | pushed persistently forward by Microsoft.  The truth should dominate, and if
> | it doesn't, then we need to make sure it does.
> `----

You are here to bash Microsoft.
What truth?  You want to run on a 10 year old cpu?
Have fun.

> http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=453
>
> Related:
>
> Windows for Supercomputers needs less memory than Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | HPC Windows less of a hardware hog than desktop version.
> `----
>
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;2091560903;fp;2;fpid;1
>
> Windows Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Any user that has used Windows XP and updating to Vista will notice one
> | thing: In Vista, your hard drive thinks it's a bewitched lawnmower – it's
> | always active. Even after all startup programs are loaded, the HD is still
> | active: Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness.
> `----
>
> http://texhex.blogspot.com/2007/11/windows-vistas-constant-hd-activit...
>
> Windows Vista: Top 12 Reasons To Stay Away—Stay Very Far Away
>
> ,----[ Gist ]
> | 1. Bloatware Supreme Supersized With Cheese
> |
> | 2. More Security Than Gary Coleman Guarding A Mall
> |
> | 3. The GUI—Graphical User Interference
> |
> | 4. No TV For You!
> |
> | 5. Windows Mobile Device Center—Anybody Home?
> |
> | 6. WeirdORama
> |
> | 7. Oh Draconian Licensing
> |
> | 8. Screech…Crash—No Airbags In This Thing?
> |
> | 9. Video Files Not For Videophiles
> |
> | 10. The Ultimate Ipod Brick Maker
> |
> | 11. ON/OFF & Everything In Between
> |
> | 12. Ouch, My Credit Card Is Burning!
> `----

Linux FUD.  They all say the same thing.

> http://hugohawken.blogspot.com/2007/11/windows-vista-top-12-reasons-t...
>
> Microsoft struggling to convince about Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ninety percent of 961 IT professionals surveyed said they have concerns about
> | migrating to Vista and more than half said they have no plans to deploy
> | Vista.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Macintosh leads the pack of Vista alternatives, with support from 28% of
> | respondents. About a quarter said they would opt for Red Hat Linux, with SUSE
> | Linux and Ubuntu each garnering 18% of the vote. Another 9% cited other Linux
> | operating systems and 4% were unsure.
> `----

Linux is not a top alternative?
Did you tell them all those things about Linux?