[News] [Rival] Bill Gates is Not Retired; Still Vicious, Criminal Monopolist

Report: Bill Gates Remains Tied To Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates was supposed to have stopped participating in Microsoft's everyday
| business about two months ago.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/08/20/report-bill-gates-remains-tied-to-search

And now he wants to be Vice President, i.e. corrupt the system from _the
inside_.

Recent:

Crimes Microsoft Gets Away With - So Far

,----[ Quote ]
| News publications are cautious about making accusations, and because of that,
| some nasty acts of Microsoft are essentially being erased from the record.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft convinced Baystar Capital to put $50 Million dollars into SCO's
| lawsuit against IBM and other Open Source users, and promised to "backstop"
| Baystar's investment if SCO lost money, according to this sworn testimony.
| But I'm told that one person's testimony, even sworn testimony, isn't proof.
`----

http://technocrat.net/no-cache/d/2008/7/30/46981

State Councilor meets Bill Gates, agree to closer collaboration on information,
education in rural China

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese State Councilor Liu Yandong met with U.S. billionaire Bill Gates and
| Microsoft's chief executive officers here on Monday, agreeing to a stronger
| collaboration between the software giant and China's education and science
| sectors.
`----

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/11/content_9171570.htm

Bill Gates Claims Open Source Means Nobody Can Improve Software

,----[ Quote ]
| His complaint is that open source creates a license "so that nobody can ever
| improve the software." It's hard to figure out how to respond to that
| statement since it's the exact opposite of how open source software works.
| The exact point is that anyone can improve the software. It's proprietary
| software like Microsoft's that's limited such that only Microsoft is allowed
| to improve it. It's no secret that Gates isn't a fan of open source software,
| but it still seems odd that he would make a statement that is so obviously
| false, both in theory and in practice. Perhaps old FUD habits die hard, but
| one would hope that as he enters "retirement" he'll have a more open mind on
| such things.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080423/004519925.shtml

Good Bill, Bad Bill, and The Art of Philanthropy

,----[ Quote ]
| And so, paradoxically, the more the Bad Bill becomes the Good Bill, the more
| long-term harm he will do in the world of computing by spreading the Windows
| habit to those least able to afford it, with knock-on damage to countries'
| balance of payments and the rest. Meanwhile, the increasingly-confused free
| software community will find that the more it tries to attack the Good Bill
| for doing harm in this way, it, rather than Bill, will be portrayed as bad by
| the growing global band of Good Bill admirers, for daring to question such
| manifest and munificent philanthropy.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/good-bill-bad-bill-and-art-philanthropy

Yoohoo! EU Commission! Are you watching?

,----[ Quote ]
| Please remember this day, next time someone tells you how
| philanthropic Mr. Gates is. Monopolies these days not only crush
| competition, they're willing to crush a charity to make a buck. I
| would say any apparent cooperation with OLPC, therefore, is just for
| show, folks. Those "technical" difficulties won't be solved, I figure,
| until this new market is glutted with Microsoft on Intel Classmates
| and Asus EEE's, loaded with XP, that old-fashioned operating system,
| and none of their laptops can do for those children what the OLPC XO
| can do. P.S. Children don't need training to use an OLPC XO. It's
| designed to not need it. I hope OLPC patented everything before they
| show Microsoft a thing. For real. Otherwise, someday we'll be looking
| for prior art to overturn a Microsoft patent or two.
|
| Yoohoo, EU Commission! Are you watching these maneuvers?

Fight Microsoft's lobbying of the world's governments: call to free and open
source millionaires

,----[ Quote ]
| The current lobbying
|
| Mr. Gates has continued his lobbying and travelling over the last years. In
| general, every time he goes somewhere, something happens. A government or a
| city is converted to Microsoft; an important GNU/Linux contract is cancelled
| (see how the Mandriva deal turned out in Nigeria). Officials start
| contradicting each other in what they tell the press. Things generally go
| pear-shaped.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/fight_microsofts_lobbying_of_the_worlds_governments_call_to_free_and_open_source_millionaires

[Mandriva CEO:] An open letter to Steve Ballmer

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! I’m impressed, Steve! What have you done for these guys to change their
| mind like this? It’s pretty clear to me, and it will be clear to everyone.
| How do you call what you just did Steve, in the place where you live? In my
| place, they give it various names, I’m sure you know them.
|
| Hey Steve, how do you feel looking at yourself in the mirror in the morning?
|
| Of course, I will keep fighting this one and the next one, and the next one.
| You have the money, the power, and maybe we have a different sense of ethics
| you and I, but I believe that hard work, good technology and ethics can win
| too.
`----

http://blog.mandriva.com/2007/10/31/an-open-letter-to-steve-ballmer/

Lessons from Africa: How to Kill Your Own FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| So, even as Microsoft claims superior quality over Linux, they act as if they
| don't even buy their own FUD. If they really believed that Windows was
| superior to Linux, they wouldn't have to bribe people with “marketing help”
| to get them to choose Windows.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-11-09-030-26-OP-MD-MS

Related:

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html