[News] Letter of Complaint to British Government Over Infringements of Freedom

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

So, it's okay for them to charge *all* citizens for monitoring and policing of
traffic at the behest of Hollywood. Now, now...

Comcast to throttle some customers' Web speeds

,----[ Quote ]
| The move follows the Federal Communications Commission's ruling on August 1
| that Comcast's throttling of BitTorrent traffic last year was unlawful--the
| first time any U.S. broadband provider has ever been found to violate Net
| neutrality rules.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10021654-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20
http://tinyurl.com/6yz7k2

Comcast is a Microsoft partner.

Recent:

US presidential candidate is a pirate

,----[ Quote ]
| THE PRESUMED Republican US presidential candidate John McCain favours
| draconian copyright enforcement, except when his own election campaign uses
| other people's music.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/16/gop-presidential-candidate

K government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]
| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
| design it nicked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/18/uk-government-stole-website

Number 10 and the Creative Commons

,----[ Quote ]
| I can only assume that Number 10 have requested, and received, permission of
| the author to remove all traces of this license and attribution from their
| Wordpress site. I have left a “contact us message” at the author’s website to
| see if this is the case…
|
| [Update] Anthony Baggett, the theme’s author, has just confirmed that No 10
| have not requested that the attribution be removed. That’s not playing fair
| by my book.
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/18/number-10-and-the-creative-commons/

More on Number 10’s website fiasco

,----[ Quote ]
| The original stylesheet4 is 612 lines in length and is 9234 bytes in size
| (9KB).
|
| The modified stylesheet5 is 3826 lines long and weighs in at a frankly
| astonishing 63724 bytes (63KB)!
|
| [...]
|
| “If” the developers have modified the Wordpress engine, as is being suggested
| as a possibility here, and then sold it to the Government, in my humble
| understanding that means they have distributed their modifications. That
| means those modifications must also be licensed under the GPL. I had a quick
| look on New Media Maze’s web site and couldn’t find an area for software
| downloads or mention of the GPL. That doesn’t say anything to be honest and
| there might be nothing to this, but it would be interesting to find out a bit
| more… Is there a real Wordpress guru who can look at the “footprint” of the
| XHTML the site generates and tell if it is different? Or are there any other
| ways to tell if it has been modified?
|
| Anyway, what a wheez this all is for us bloggers: It just isn’t Gordon’s year
| is it…
`----

http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2008/08/18/more-on-number-10/

Comcast Gives Cold-Shoulder To Non-Profit School Running Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I think it would be rather fun to make the displeasure of Comcast’s Linux
| customers loudly known. If you would like to spend a few minutes letting
| Comcast know that is wrong to discriminate against customers due to their
| choice of operating system, the phone number to the Lake City, Fl. office is
| (386) 752-6161.
`----

http://crashsystems.net/2008/08/comcast-wont-support-linux/

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKN1361814420071114?rpc=44

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]