[News] Software Patents Lose Their Teeth

Stay secure with Firefox, firewall

,----[ Quote ]
| Experts believe that the Supreme Court is unlikely
| to accept review of the Bilski decision, leaving
| intact Bilski’s rule that to be patentable,
| computer software must meet a (nonstatutory,
| judicially-imposed) “machine or transformation” test.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/living/story/1033073.html

Let's Stop This Patent Trolling

,----[ Quote ]
| In five minutes of searching, I found this mention
| in a book that Windows 98 offered an option to use
| image thumbnails in Explorer. Cygnus originally
| filed their patent on June 12, 1998, but Windows
| 98 was already in beta at that point -- I was
| testing it at that time -- and by that time
| Microsoft probably had the feature implemented.
| And I wonder, where did Microsoft get the idea
| for the feature? Was it really a totally original
| idea, or did they have some earlier example
| they were following?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/12/lets_stop_this.html?cid=RSSfeed_IWK_ALL

Recent:

Checking in on Nathan Myhrvold

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/149104.asp?source=rss

Nathan Myhrvold’s Patent Extortion Fund Is Reaping
Hundreds Of Millions of Dollars

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/09/17/nathan-myhrvolds-patent-extortion-fund-is-reaping-hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars/

Invention Capitalism & the Law: Checking in on Nathan Myhrvold

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/09/17/invention-capitalism-the-law-checking-in-on-nathan-myhrvold/

Nathan Myhrvold: Alpha patent troll?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=10069

Tech Guru Riles the Industry

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122161127802345821.html

Patent startup gains high profile backing

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=Y5PML15MGOPIQQSNDLPCKHSCJUNN2JVN?articleID=210602186

Transcript: Myhrvold of Intellectual Ventures

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122142717791833671.html

We doctor your patents, so be patent!

http://broadstuff.com/archives/1246-We-doctor-your-patents,-so-be-patent!.html

Reforming the Patent System

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/market-movers/2008/09/17/reforming-the-patent-system?tid=true

Microsoft and Pioneer Enter Into Patent Cross-Licensin
Agreement to Foster Mutual Innovation in Consumer Technology

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2008/sep08/09-16PioneerPR.mspx

Acacia tops troll litigaition league

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=31e01d61-2f07-488e-9e56-32a96383071e

Ideas Are Everywhere... So Why Do We Limit Them?

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080507/0114581051.shtml