[News] GNU/Linux Favoured on New Internet Devices

Yukyung introduced their first MID--Viliv S5 with Intel Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of us have already seen this Viliv S5 at IDF 2008, but it was based on
| Linux OS and Hansoft's 3D Cubic launcher. Maybe they did so then because
| Intel is currently pushing Linux OS to their future platforms like
| Moorestown.
`----

http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/digihunter/post.htm?id=63008042&scid=rvhm_ms

Recent:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Microsoft dropped Vista hardware spec to raise Intel profits

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/03/01/microsoft_intel_vista_capable_emails/

Microsoft 'Caves' To Intel

http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/28/microsoft-vista-intel-tech-ebiz-cx_wt_0228vista.html?partner=yahootix

Intel Backstabs Microsoft by Abandoning Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| The news that Intel has decided it won't upgrade its PCs to Vista must be
| especially bitter for Microsoft because court documents show that Microsoft
| may have launched its ill-fated "junk PC" Vista scheme at the behest of
| Intel. Is this the kind of payback that Microsoft expected?
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147678/intel_backstabs_microsoft_by_abandoning_vista.html

Intel won't touch Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| So that leaves two other choices, Linux and Mac. Linux is a distinct
| possibility, they already have an in-house distro that causes employees look
| nervously around the room when you talk about it. Although it is not a
| desktop variant, there is no reason that they could not roll one given two
| years.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/23/intel-dumps-vista

Related:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]