Re: Bill Gates Knowingly Breaks the Law?

____/ 7 on Saturday 27 December 2008 14:01 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> This was never posted in COLA, but someone has just found it...
>>
>> - ---------------------------

Bear in mind that my resentment is fueled by knowledge that I have and other
people don't bother with. Microsoft is a PR machine; you /must/ look
underneath.

Of relevance to many companies (someone in IRC brought them up along with the
PDF from the courts):

"I have decided that we should not publish these extensions. We should wait
until we have a way to so a high level of integration that will be harder for
the likes of Notes, Wordperfect to achieve, and which will give Office a real
advantage."

                --Bill Gates

"We should design some of our extensions explicitly so that IBM can't run them
under OS/2. We need to put real thinking into this."

                --Bill Gates

Here is some real code from MS-DOS (shown in Comes vs MS):

/********************************************************
*DisplayAlienDosMessage
*
*Purpose:
*               Displays a warning message if the user is running
*       a non MS or IBM PC DOS machine (Le. pirated DOS). C.)
* Returns:
*                       none
int near DisplayA1ienDosMessage(void)
{

        print(9,TAE,”WARNING: Microsoft QuickPascal has been tested for use”);
        print(lO,TAB,‘only with the MS-DOS and PC-DOS operating systems.”);
        print(12,TAB,’Your use of this product with another operating system");
        print(13,TAB,’may void valuable warranty protection provided by”);
        print(14,TAB,”Mlcrosoft on QuickPascal.’);
        print(16,TAB,”...Press any key to continue’);
        getch();
        return(1);
}

/***
*main - setup's main
*Purpose:
*               main code for setup. Initialize stuff and do the setup.
*
*Entry:
*               argC, argV as in ‘the bible” (K&R)
*Exit:
*               void, note that setup exits from “terminate" not main.
/ void NEAR main ( argC, argV )
int                              argC;
unsigned char *argV [];

{
        extern ME1~4U contMaiu;
        extern unsigned char    sDrive; // set if sourcedir non-
default
        int                     retVal;
        unreferenced (argC);

        InitVideo();

.
        if (!Verify_DOS ();

                DisplayAlienDosMessage ();

        if (argV[O](1)==’:’) // don’t assume
drive A:
                sDrive = (unsigned char) toupper(*argv[O]);
        JnitDefOptions ();

                if(GrabMemory())
                {
                        retVal = DoThatStateThing ();
                        ReleaseMemory Q;
                }
                else
                (
                ppszErrLns= ppszErrTable [ OUTOFMEM ];
                AlertState ( &contMenu, 1.2, dispGenErr);
                retVal = rv_JtJSTEXIT;

        }
        terminate (retVal); // exits setup}
}

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Apache: commercial software's days are numbered
 15:20:01 up 72 days, 23:38,  2 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.82, 0.83