[News] Wikipedia Extends Reach to Mobiles, Knowledge Becomes Freer

Mobile Wikipedia officially launched

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile Wikipedia has been officially launched. The new service allows users
| to view Wikipedia pages on mobile devices by reformatting Wikipedia content
| to a simpler format. Although there are mobile applications that allow access
| to Wikipedia content, this is the first service provided by Wikipedia itself.
| Examination of the settings by ReadWriteWeb suggested that the service may be
| joined in the future by a "Spoken" version of Wikipedia.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Mobile-Wikipedia-officially-launched--/news/112263

An appeal from Wikipedia founder, Jimmy Wales

,----[ Quote ]
| Wikipedia is built differently from almost every other top 50 website. We
| have a small number of paid staff, just twenty-three. Wikipedia content is
| free to use by anyone for any purpose. Our annual expenses are less than six
| million dollars. Wikipedia is run by the non-profit Wikimedia Foundation,
| which I founded in 2003.
`----

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Letter/en?utm_source=2008_jimmy_letter_r&utm_medium=sitenotice&utm_campaign=fundraiser2008#appeal

What happened to Free and Open Knowledge?

,----[ Quote ]
| People have been bullied through laws and propaganda into “helping” those
| corporations (and supposedly society as well) by treating abstract
| computer-readable files as physical objects.  This information could be
| shared freely and benefit all.  Advocates of this technique say that it is
| the only way to promote progress, but in reality, it does nothing but
| diminish its importance.  I suppose I can see how some could
| confuse “progress” and “private inside information”, as they look the same
| from the outside.  What is the purpose, however, of useful information if it
| cannot be built upon and actually used?  Think about if your grandma had
| a “secret recipe” for the greatest cookies in the world.  If she kept this
| recipe to herself, nobody but the people in your close family could enjoy
| these cookies.  Master chefs could, no doubt, fiddle with this recipe for
| years trying to find an improvement or inventing ways to adopt these cookies
| for other cultures.  If they were unable to improve perfection, they could
| still learn new techniques from your grandma and apply those to other
| recipes.
`----

http://trombonechamp.wordpress.com/2008/12/20/what-happened-to-free-and-open-knowledge/

Recent:

Wikipedia launches ‘academy’

,----[ Quote ]
| Online encyclopaedia Wikipedia.com launched the ‘Wikipedia Academy’ here
| today in a bid to increase its popularity and to reach out to large number of
| rural masses in the country.
|
| “This is the first in Asia after the launch of the first Academy last month
| in Germany” Wikipedia.com Founder Jimmy Wales told reporters in Chennai.
`----

http://www.expeditemall.com/wikipedia-launches-academy.php

Wiki-community strives to extend eastward

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many reasons for Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia, to take
| interest in India. One of them is the need for balance in socio-geographic
| perspective in Wiki articles. "Being a global encyclopedia, we need an
| east-west balance in our content, quantitatively as well as perceptively,"
| said Wikimedia foundation founder Jimmy Wales, who was in Chennai on Friday
| for the formal inauguration of Asia's first Wikipedia academy.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Infotech/Wiki-community_looking_eastward/articleshow/3830044.cms

British ISPs restrict access to Wikipedia amid child pornography allegations

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/British_ISPs_restrict_access_to_Wikipedia_amid_child_pornography_allegations?curid=117771