[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Strength Highlighted This Year

Ubuntu Review: One Year In

,----[ Quote ]
| After a somewhat belated New Year’s resolution last year, I did manage to
| complete my goal much more easily than I previously thought possible. In the
| last 9 months, I can probably count on my two hands then number of times I’ve
| booted into Vista or XP. I’ve been using Ubuntu on a regular basis since at
| least February. Now you may ask why I made the switch to Linux. I intend to
| answer that by giving a summary, including the ups and downs, of my first
| year with Linux.
`----

http://encephalosponge.com/2008/12/22/ubuntu-review-one-year-in/

The Win, Fail and Meh of Open Source in 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| With 2008 coming to an end, heise online UK picks what was full of win, who
| was waiting for the failboat, and who just made us go meh. So in no
| particular order, here are the Wins, the Fails and the Mehs of Open Source
| from 2008.
|
| Win - Ubuntu 8.04LTS - Canonical shipping a long term support version of
| Ubuntu was a real win for the FOSS operating system. It gave those users who
| need the assurance a version of Ubuntu to deploy that has support for longer
| than the normal 18 months. While there have been Linux distributions with
| similar offerings, they are usually associated with services or
| subscriptions. Ubuntu has brought that level of support to a free operating
| system. Ubuntu has also done more to popularise Linux in 2008 than possibly
| any other vendor, creating an enthusiastic, inclusive community, around a
| Linux distribution that sets out to be easy to work with for the general
| user, rather than just those with a corporate cheque book to hand.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/The-Win-Fail-and-Meh-of-Open-Source-in-2008--/features/112305

"I’m thinking of hitting the OEMs harder than in the past with anti-Linux. ...
they should do a delicate dance"

                --Joachim Kempin, Microsoft OEM Chief

Recent:

Ubuntu Rocks (A Review with Tips)

,----[ Quote ]
| In general, however, I have been quite impressed and would recommend anyone
| would is thinking about giving Linux a try to do so. If you have an older
| machine that seems to have gotten too sluggish, you might have revitalize it
| with a Linux install.
`----

http://www.poliblogger.com/?p=14632

Hands on: Ubuntu 8.10 review

,----[ Quote ]
| "Overall, Ubuntu 8.10 is a solid, polished release," says Linux Format. "Many
| of the changes, while small in themselves, improve the user experience, and
| especially make things easier for those new to Linux...
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/hands-on-ubuntu-8-10-review-480920

First Look: Ubuntu 8.10 Arrives, Bringing More User-Friendly Features

,----[ Quote ]
| The official next generation release of Ubuntu Linux has just landed.
| Intrepid Ibex, as this version is known, promises a number of subtle but
| important feature updates that help make Ubuntu even more user-friendly.
`----

http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/First_Look:_Ubuntu_8DOT10_Arrives__Bringing_More_User-Friendly_Features

Ubuntu's Ibex Loads Up on Linux Features

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3781736/Ubuntus+Intrepid+Ibex+Loads+Up+on+Linux+Features.htm