Re: Windows user switches to Ubuntu

"Hadron" <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:girb87$no3$2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SomeBloke <stuff@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:24:51 +0000, ray wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:57:24 +0100, Hadron wrote:

ray <ray@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 16:28:26 +0000, Tony Manco wrote:

_Switched from Windows to Ubuntu - wish I had done this before_

"This is my first post on these forums. It's going to be a happy one.
For happy is the state I ended up in tonight. Because, you see, I
made "The Switch". Bye Windows, hello Linux-world. Ubuntu. I am
amazed. I am astonished. I feel like a total idiot for not having
done this transfer before.

[...]

Anyway... although I'm sure there's many immature things about Ubuntu
yet, I was amazed to see its maturity once I had it installed. The
installation process was SUPER easy and SUPER quick. I was afraid my
NIC wouldn't work and that I'd have no access to the Internet (my
provider doesn't seem to support it). But.. wow.. I didn't have to do
ANYTHING - it just worked right out of the box. Same for my (NVIDIA)
graphics card. All in all I was rolling in about 2 hours. Had
everything updated, working, adjusted my settings, learned how to
install a *.sh file lol . Set up my new development environment -
Java 6 with NetBeans IDE.

[...]

The software packaging & updating systems are great.

[...]

To cut a long story short: good job "World". I'm impressed. I'll be
using some time now to make myself familiar with things (architecture
etc.) and then I hope to be able to join your ranks as a developer.
I'm sure a extra hand on development wouldn't hurt"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6419068&postcount=1

Congratulations! Welcome to the group - better late than never ;)

You need a bigger screen Ray .......

"Tony Manco" (a nym) is reposting fairy tales posted to the Ubuntu
forums by the COLA faithful.

Thanks. I certainly appreciate your form of 'advocacy'.

You seem to have missed the point. You were not welcoming "Tony
Manco". He was reposting other peoples posts.

Yes but go easy on the original poster, he discovered Linux and likes it, nothing wrong with that. Since this is Linux advocacy nothing wrong with hearing about others coming to a realization that there is a world beyond Microsoft.

Yep, sounds like Hardon is full of Christmas spirit. Or is that just full
of it?

The reference to the bigger screen was in reference to Ray getting his
panties in a knot because I suggested a netbook might not be ideal for
Senior Citizens because of the small screen and less accessible
keyboards.

And you even lumped my 49 year old eyes in to that Senior's category!  ;-)

--
"If only someone would kill you two. Literally."
-- Tattoo Vampire <sitting@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> in comp.os.linux.advocacy