[News] Municipalities in Greece Take the Free Software Route

GR: Municipalities to get open source platform for electronic services

,----[ Quote ]
| Greek municipalities are building an open source platform to offer citizens
| and small and medium sized business access to their services. This Local
| Government Application Framework (LGAF) will be developed by the Central
| Union of Municipalities of Greece (Kedke).
|
| Sixteen cities and municipalites will begin the development project,
| including Imathia, Ithaca, Konitsa and Chios.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/gr-municipalities-to-get-open-source-platform-for-electronic-services

Upcoming European Open Source Conferences: links 21-12-2008

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/12/21/upcoming-european-open-source-conferences-links-21-12-2008/

Related:

Athens schools promote 'open source' computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Athens was invited because it is one of few districts in Michigan teaching on
| Linux operating systems. Linux is a cost-free alternative to proprietary
| systems, such as Microsoft Windows or Apple's Mac O.S. While some open source
| software applications, such as e-mail programs, come at a cost, Linux is
| almost entirely free. Windows or Mac systems can cost up to $400 per machine.
|
| Open source means the source code for an operating system cannot be owned and
| is available for free.
`----

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080305/NEWS01/803050312/1002/NEWS01

Let’s set the ERT audiovisual archive free (manifesto - draft)

,----[ Quote ]
| Greek citizens, but also citizens of other countries, we jointly sign this
| text on the occasion of ERT’s choice to distribute its audiovisual archive
| non-freely to the public. Our aim and ambition is to publicize our
| propositions so that they become the starting point of an open dialog among
| the Greek society, the European and global public audience and to signal the
| revision of backward policies and the creation of common political wealth.
|
| Few days ago, the ERT administration presented the beginning of the
| availability, only via Internet streaming, of a part of its audiovisual
| archive. This move constitutes an important first step, which, however, in
| our opinion, is tarnished by the fact that the public availability of the
| archive is not made free, although the Greek and European citizens have paid
| their money to make the production and digitization of the archive feasible.
`----

http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/lets-set-the-ert-audiovisual-archive-free-manifesto-draft/2008/01/06

Open source tour of Europe: Greece

,----[ Quote ]
| There are isolated examples of public open source adoption projects, such as
| Heraklion on the island of Crete expressing a preference for open source
| software for its e-Government portal, Athens using Linux, Apache and PHP, and
| Toperos Xanthis using Linux and Joomla.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/06/16/open-source-tour-of-europe-greece/

Hot stuffin' in Greece?

,----[ Quote ]
| After the voting of the Greek HoD you may ask why the votes were 14 in total,
| when the organisations appointed to the committee are just 12. That's only
| the latest of the magical wonders around OpenXML.
|
| [...]
|
| New voting members are joining the committee at the last minute:
|
|     However, during the discussion, the representative of the Information
|     Society showed the fax he had received, to which was attached the
|     decision 19103/08 of the ELOT administration, dated 1 February 2008,
|     which modifies the composition of the Committee by adding four new
|     organisations: the Ministry of Education, two departments of the Ministry
|     of Economics, and Information Society S.A. The representatives of NTUA
|     had not been informed of this decision.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-42845/hot-stuffin-in-greece

Greece sell-out Proposal