[News] Op Ed: GNU/Linux Desktop Should Make Microsoft Worried

Linux Approaching Tipping Point

,----[ Quote ]
| If I were Microsoft, I’d be worried.  And I drank the Redmond Kool-Aid many
| years ago when Steve Balmer gave me a free copy of all of Microsoft’s
| business-related software in order to help my fledgling book publishing
| company.  In return, I helpd convert 2 companies into Microsoft shops.  I
| still love Microsoft, but with an almost or actual depression staring the
| world in the eyes, I’m not sure I can afford their stuff any longer.
`----

http://hennessysview.com/2008/12/21/linux-approaching-tipping-point/

Even Microsoft employees are moving to GNU/Linux (examples below).

Related:

When did I become such a tool?

,----[  ]
| Six years ago I began working for Microsoft.
|
| The ways I thought about my time changed. How I thought about my
| career changed. How I thought about my place in the world changed.
|
| [...]
|
| Moving my family computer from Windows XP to some form of Linux. A
| symbolic gesture more than anything - but one that will force me to do
| those things I so sorely miss.
`----

http://makingtheswitch.wordpress.com/2007/04/28/when-did-i-become-such-a-tool/

Former Microsoft Insider Speaks Out

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Explorer was an attempt to counter a "threat" against the
| Windows platform.  During the interview, he talked about the attack
| on Netscape.  He said, "Steve Ballmer was hammering on BillG about
| how the Internet could make Windows irrelevant. BillG wasn't getting
| it; he was focused on the Windows apps.  Then, BillG woke up and saw
| Java running on Netscape, which, of course, ran on many platforms,
| including our arch-enemy at that time, OS/2."  It started out as an
| HTML rendering application, but Internet Explorer grew larger with
| OLE 2.0, which became a great security concern as this former
| insider, along with other developers, had plenty of experience
| fighting viruses, and they saw it as another opening for virus
| writers, especially since for all intents and purposes from
| Windows 95 on, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer were one
| and the same.
|
| During the later part of the 1990's, Sum Yung Gai left Microsoft
| to finish his degree.  When asked how they felt about his departure,
| he said, "I went back to finish my college education, and none of us
| ever suspected I'd get into this GNU thing or Free Software.
`----

http://www.thenixedreport.com/articles/tholbrook2/exmicrosofty.html

My $300 UPNP Media Server and NAS (On Ubuntu)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.keirgordon.com/2007/06/my-300-upnp-media-server-and-nas-on.html