[News] Puppy Linux Saves PCs from Polluting the Earth

Puppy Linux for Old PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| As I’ll probably say here 100 times, it is much better to rescue an old
| computer and make it useful than to simply toss it out into the garbage.
| Linux makes this easy - er, well, kind of easy, depending on the distribution
| and your tolerance for troubleshooting. While more and more Linux versions
| are requiring more and more computing power, thankfully, not all of them
| suffer from the never ending quest for software progress.
`----

http://greentechgirl.com/e-waste/puppy-linux-for-old-pcs/

Recent:

Hands on: Revive an old PC with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So what about computers more than just a few years old? Reader Graham Steel
| wrote to ask about his computer. He said: “I have an old IBM Thinkpad
| installed with Windows 98 and incapable of running newer versions of Windows,
| with just 96MB of Ram and a Pentium II CPU.
|
| "I investigated live editions of Linux and decided on Damn Small Linux. I was
| very pleased it recognised the PCMCIA network card and everything was up and
| running straight away.”
`----

http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/features/2227715/lease-life-4149236

Free Software Community Project needs Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Manchester Free Software recently set up a free software suite at the
| Marbella Café at 52 Newton Street in the Northern Quarter, using machines
| previously used by Free Space Manchester and originally from the Basement
| Social Centre.
`----

http://community.livejournal.com/manchester/748227.html

Helping the Needy Get Nerdy

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Journal reader Kevin, from Portland, Oregon, tells us, "I've donated
| equipment and money to them (Free Geek). I love giving working computer gear
| to them knowing that someone will learn computer skills by refurbishing it,
| computer. After 24 hours of donated time the volunteer gets to take home a
| computer for their own."
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/helping-needy-get-nerdy

British PC users fail to recycle PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| The online research was carried out by TNS of 1,050 adults over a two day
| period in February. It found that a staggering 12.5 million unwanted PCs or
| laptops have not been re-used or recycled by their owners over the past five
| years.
|
| [...]
|
| The new findings also indicate a worrying level of apathy among the
| population with many people making no attempt to recycle their unwanted IT
| hardware. Over 1 million people said they had dumped their computer or laptop
| in their household rubbish (4 percent) or fly tipped it in the countryside (1
| percent).
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11692

Related:

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

True or False: E-Waste

,----[ Quote ]
| True or False: Switching from a Windows-operated computer to a Linux-operated
| one could slash computer-generated e-waste levels by 50%.
|
| The answer is: TRUE
`----

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/12/03/eco.myth.ewaste/

Heroes of Linux and FOSS: Ken Starks, AKA Helios

,----[ Quote ]
| This seems like a good time for a Ken Starks retrospective. This is the man
| who, despite some rather gnarly health problems churns out blog entries and
| interesting Linux projects by the truckload.

Avoiding a Computer Wasteland

,----[ Quote ]
| Out with the old PC—companies should look to professional refurbishers to
| recycle wares in a safe, environmentally friendly, socially conscious way
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2007/tc2007102_885587.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Major Linux Hardware Donor Is a CNN "Hero"

,----[ Quote ]
| Burgett's filmed interview is currently leading a CNN contest among videos
| of 'ordinary people' whom CNN considers everyday heroes, narrowly edging out
| the video of a man who is saving gorillas from extinction.
|
| [...]
|
| Reader stefanlasiewski posted a journal article describing how,
| bewilderingly, the state of California is threatening to shut down Burgett's
| ACCRC.
`----

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/02/2146230&from=rss

16,000 Linux computers delivered - for free

,----[ Quote ]