[News] Another eBook Reader Runs Linux

New eBook Reader Undercuts Kindle, Sony Reader Prices

,----[ Quote ]
| Available in black, gray, or white, the device will have 128MB of internal
| memory, plus USB and an SD Card slot (it'll come with a 2GB card, too).
| Because its screen draws very little power, battery life should be extremely
| long; Foxit says it'll go for 8,000 page turns between recharges; it
| recharges via either USB or an included AC adapter. It uses an embedded Linux
| operating system, too.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155746/new_ebook_reader_undercuts_kindle_sony_reader_prices.html

Recent:

10 Linux-powered E-book Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux just keeps popping up on many of the popular gadgets that are hogging
| the limelight nowadays. Some are quite conspicuous about it, like the Android
| phone that is being developed by a group that makes it very obvious, calling
| themselves the Open Handset Alliance. However, there are some that don't
| flaunt Linux around, like the Amazon Kindle. Not that they have to, but well,
| allow me to do it for them here anyway.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/11/10-linux-powered-e-book-readers.html

Linux Journal Live - eBook Readers and DRM

,----[ Quote ]
| The November 13, 2008 edition of Linux Journal Live! Shawn Powers and special
| guest, Linux Journal Author Daniel Bartholomew, talk e-book readers and
| Daniel's Kindle, DRM, and other goodness.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/linux-journal-live-ebook-readers-and-drm

Related:

Rollup e-reader runs Linux

| Philips spinoff Polymer Vision has announced plans to ship a Linux-based
| e-reader with a flexible, rollup display. Thanks to the screen's low power
| consumption, the "Readius" offers up to 30 hours of reading without a battery
| charge, according to the company.

E-paper support for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the electrophoretic display controllers for which Linux support has
| been posted (tarball) is a controller from E-Ink called Apollo. This
| controller is interfaced to the host through 8-bit data and 6-bit control
| over General Purpose IO (GPIO) interfaces.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;833313752;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

Amazon's Kindle eBook Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| But in the final analysis, the point of the thing is to be a better book. It
| does this very well. Everything else is just icing on the cake, which is, in
| this case, not a lie.
`----

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/36063

Down with paper: A review of the Sony Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only does the new Reader sport an SD card slot alongside the Pro Duo
| slot, but it plays AAC and MP3 files; ATRAC doesn't even make an appearance
| on the spec sheet. Oh, and did I mention that the Reader is Penguin-powered?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/sony-reader-review.ars

Sharp intros RD-CX100 dictionary / e-book reader

,----[ Quote ]
| It may not boast quite the versatility of its souped-up
| Linux-based "electronic dictionary," but if you're just looking for
| some basic e-book reading capabilities along with your
| multi-lingual dictionary, Sharp's new RD-CX100 looks like it
| may fit the bill.
`----

http://digg.com/gadgets/Sharp_intros_RD_CX100_dictionary_e_book_reader

HP offers peek at next-gen gadgets

,----[ Quote ]
| HP has unveiled some of the gadgets it is working on in its worldwide
| laboratories.
|
| [...]
|
| The e-book attracted most interest from delegates at the HP Mobility
| Summit in Shanghai. It uses touch sensitive strips on the base of
| the rectangular unit to select books and turn pages, runs a Linux
| OS and has a USB port to install new titles.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2189600/hp-plans-touchscreen-ebook

Kindle sold out

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no telling if this is a consequence of consumer demand exceeding
| Amazon's forecasts as to how many people would want this thing, or if Amazon
| is taking a page out of Nintendo's book and creating a little product
| scarcity to drum up business. All I know is I got mine in the mail today, and
| I'm already in love.
|
| Flop? I think not.
`----

http://blog.blankbaby.com/blankbaby/2007/11/kindle-sold-out.html

Amazon.com Launches Wireless Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based device weighs 10.3 ounces, can store 200 titles on its 250 MB
| of onboard flash memory, and its battery can hold a charge for two days with
| the wireless feature on and seven days with it off, Amazon said. The reader
| is made by a Chinese OEM and can be purchased on Amazon.com for $399.
`----

http://sony.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=237306

Linux-based eBook reader leverages lightweight browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The NetFront browser enables users to click through to linked reference
| sites, such as Wikipedia, while they are reading.

Adobe Digital Editions: a Fraud!

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not decided yet whose fraud is bigger: Adobe's one, or that of the
| e-book publishers who infamously market the digital content for Adobe Digital
| Editions as content for Adobe Reader?
|
| [...]
|
| You should therefore avoid e-books from HarperCollins, and be cautious: when
| the DRM'ed contents "fine-grained rights", it's unlikely to be a PDF (even if
| marketed as "Adobe Reader"), but something worse.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/12/25/01/11/16-adobe-digital-editions-a-fraud-

Mobipocket books on Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| We've known for some time already that Amazon's AZW files are actually Mobi
| files, but Amazon didn't share Kindle's Mobi PID which would allow one to buy
| encrypted Mobi books for Kindle.
| Well, I've discovered the algorithm used to generate the PID and was able to
| use it on Fictionwise, but there was another catch. AZW files have a flag set
| in the DRM info which is not present in books bought from other vendors.
| After fixing that, I could read the book on Kindle.
`----

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/mobipocket-books-on-kindle.html

Don't let DRM get between you and a good book

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon Kindle (Swindle), Sony Reader (Sh-reader), and others are all
| competing to control how, what, and when we can read with their competing
| Digital Restrictions Management technologies. Let's let them know that we
| won't buy their ebook readers until they get rid of the DRM!
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/DRMEbookFlyer

The Kindle Swindle

,----[ Quote ]