[News] New Microsoft Disasters Help GNU/Linux

Analysis: Is Microsoft's IE Flaw The Last Nail In Its Desktop Coffin?

,----[ Quote ]
| Fierce competition in the desktop and end-user application space is looming
| large over Microsoft. Google continues to develop knockout, Web-based apps
| like Desktop, Video and Docs. OpenOffice is going mainstream -- the new
| Ubuntu distro makes Linux easier than ever for the layman.
|
| Mozilla and Sun Microsystems have developed serious alternatives in the
| browser and productivity suite arenas with Firefox and OpenOffice.org.
|
| Microsoft has long had a stranglehold on the browser and productivity suite
| markets. That hold may start to slip. In the Test Center, we are seeing the
| number of SMB and consumer applications and devices that are being developed
| with Linux compatability at an all-time high.
|
| Could this latest security issue and the fact that it had not been addressed
| for the last several years by Microsoft, arguably the Earth's most wildly
| successful software company, be that proverbial straw that draws the masses
| to alternative personal computing offerings?
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/212501235

Recent:

MS issues brown alert over unpatched IE 7 flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft warned on Saturday that attacks targeting the vulnerability, which
| affects versions of its flagship browser on all supported versions of
| Windows, are becoming more widespread. The security bug first came to
| prominence a week ago, just before the latest edition of Microsoft's update
| cycle.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/15/ie7_exploits/

Microsoft rushes out emergency Windows update

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is about to issue an emergency security update to plug a
| vulnerability which could allow an internet worm to be spread via a computer
| without the user doing anything.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/23/windows_emergency_update/

Bots rule in cyberspace