[News] [Rival] Microsoft Magazine on Microsoft Security Siege, US Under Windows Zombie Threat

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Magazine on Microsoft Security Siege, US Under Windows Zombie Threat
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:23:45 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Ends 08 with Two Security Battles

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when the software giant thought it had sated the public's desire for
| answers regarding a zero-day vulnerability that was thought to only affect
| IE7, yet another new bug had been identified over the weekend with SQL Server
| database. The kicker here is that a seasoned hacker could in theory use the
| IE bug to then deploy the SQL Server bug. A report from Austria-based SEC
| Consult Advisory said it's possible for outsiders to target the vulnerability
| remotely on Web sites that link search boxes, customer databases or other Web
| apps to SQL Server. Redmond was still investigating both flaws as this post
| went up and, as per procedure, said it will issue workarounds and possible
| patches in the future as part of its normal monthly security bulletin
| release.
`----

http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?editorialsid=2942

DHS and Cybersecurity: Yes, No, Maybe So?

,----[ Quote ]
| There's no question DHS is a troubled agency and it's doing not nearly enough
| to prepare for a potential Cyber 9-11. But I'm skeptical of the idea that
| Washington will do better by simply moving the responsibility to another part
| of the government.
|
| Last week, a group of outside experts recommended cybersecurity be moved from
| DHS -- which "isn't equipped to protect the federal government against
| cyberattacks" -- to an office within the Obama White House. Many members of
| the Commission on Cyber Security for the 44th Presidency "felt that leaving
| any cyber function at DHS would doom that function to failure," according to
| its recently-released 96-page report.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155688/DHS_cybersecurity.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

DHS report: Open-source code "quality" is up

,----[ Quote ]
| A U.S. Department of Homeland Security-sponsored project has not only
| discovered that the quality of open source software code has improved
| significantly over the past two years, it has debunked a widely held
| assumption that longer function strings within source code are associated
| with an increased number of code defects.
`----

http://www.scmagazineus.com/DHS-report-Open-source-code-quality-is-up/article/110360/

Open source security improving rapidly

,----[ Quote ]
| The quality and security of open source software is improving rapidly,
| according to an in-depth analysis of over 250 popular applications including
| Linux and Apache.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2217059/open-source-security-improving

Study Says Linux More Secure

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 70 percent people surveyed said they found Red Hat Linux less
| vulnerable to security issues than Microsoft's operating system.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Study_Says_Linux_More_Secure/551-88850-580.html

Study: 70 percent say Red Hat more secure than Windows

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080425-study-70-percent-say-red-hat-more-secure-than-windows.html

Open source, proprietary codes include similar mistakes

,----[ Quote ]
| The company said its initial two-year DHS contract is ending, and Coverity
| will continue to operate the Scan site because of the favorable response the
| project has received from software developers and others in the open-source
| community.
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/46342-1.html

Coverity's open source code audit efforts are funded by the US government
(video)

,----[ Quote ]
| Coverity famously helps open source projects audit their code and eliminate
| security holes and other bugs, and earns its corporate income by selling
| software that does the same thing to proprietary software companies. Few seem
| to realize, though, that Coverity started doing free open source code audits
| because it got a grant from the US Department of Homeland Security.
| Coverity's David Maxwell explains.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/142672

Coverity to Regularly Scan Security and Quality of 250 Open Source Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time that Coverity is focusing on improving the
| quality of end-user professional applications such as the open
| source Blender 3d suite used to create computer animation in
| movies. Other projects to be analyzed include the GNU Image
| Manipulation Program (GIMP), an open source photo retouching
| package, and Inkscape, a vector graphics program. The new
| expansion is in response to the spread of open source software
| into all areas of the world economy, including the multi-billion
| dollar industry around professional graphics software.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/070501/ca_coverity_projects.html?.v=1

Most open source software is better

,----[ Quote ]
| The story is that Coverity ran 50 open source projects through
| its bug-checking system, as well as products from 100 proprietary
| makers.
|
| "On average, open-source software is of higher quality than
| proprietary software," Chelf wrote. But 11 of the 15 top-rated
| programs were proprietary.
|
| Sounds fair enough. Most open source projects are newer than the
| proprietary products they seek to displace. Chelf said one unnamed
| proprietary product in aerospace had one-fifth the number of bugs as
| any open source product out there.
|
| But here's the thing. He can't say which one. The data is proprietary.
| So, in fact, is the data on all proprietary products. There is just now
| ay to know how buggy (or non-buggy) proprietary products might be. But
| you can know how buggy the open source projects are, because Coverity
| published those results on the Web.
|
| So which side should you trust? Should you trust code that might
| really be best in class, or might be garbage? Or should you trust
| code that you can see, and whose performance in bug tests you
| can measure?
|
| Your choice.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=809

Leading Open Source Software Projects Eliminate Bugs Every Six Minutes After
Coverity Scan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060403/sfm027.html?.v=44