[News] Amazon Adds Ubuntu GNU/Linux to Its 'Cloud'

Ubuntu on Amazon Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| We have just announced our beta of Ubuntu Server Edition for cloud computing.
| It uses Amazon’s established cloud service EC2. We’re supplying customised
| images that are quick to deploy and efficient in production. The images are
| based on Ubuntu Server Edition so have the same great security, performance,
| reliability and range of applications. Since they use the EC2 service it
| means that you can have a new server up and running with a few mouse clicks.
`----

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=104

Ubuntu on Amazon EC2 Beta released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the beta release of Ubuntu 8.10 Server
| Edition on Amazon's EC2 cloud computing service.  Ubuntu Server on Amazon
| gives you the power and modularity of Ubuntu combined with the flexibility of
| Amazon's cloud computing service.  This is the first beta release of an
| Ubuntu Server Edition image optimised for EC2's cloud computing environment.
`----

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-December/027001.html

Recent:

JBoss Joins Red Hat Enterprise Linux on Amazon EC2

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat on Tuesday made its JBoss Java middleware available through
| Amazon.com's Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) service, eight months after it gave
| customers access to its Enterprise Linux on its technology partner's
| computing infrastructure.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147180/jboss_joins_red_hat_enterprise_linux_on_amazon_ec2.html
http://tinyurl.com/65jdt4

Red Hat Prepping Managed Services Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| The convergence of open source with managed services and software as a
| service (SaaS) continues. The latest example: Red Hat, arguably the world’s
| best-known open source company, has created two staff positions to serve
| hosting partners. Plus, Red Hat is evaluating a strategy to work more closely
| with managed service providers, MSPmentor has learned. Here’s the scoop.
`----

http://www.mspmentor.net/2008/04/21/red-hat-prepping-managed-services-strategy/

Force.com: Salesforce Moves into the Platform Business

,----[ Quote ]
| If you imagine the "Platform as a Service" (PaaS) landscape as a spectrum,
| you have offerings like Amazon's EC2 at one end. EC2 is essentially a
| VM-based technology with some scalability infrastructure, but you have to
| roll everything else yourself, from persistence to failover. In the middle,
| you have products like Google's App Engine, which allow you to deploy an
| application with many of the underlying nuts-and-bolts concerns handled by
| Google, but is still essentially a deployment environment that you hand-code
| Python with.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6477/1/

Amazon keeps getting the Cloud right while everyone else snoozes

,----[ Quote ]
| The cloud has become one of the most interesting market dynamics since open
| source.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9922719-62.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NegativeApproach

Related:

Red Hat, Amazon deliver Linux on demand

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat made its Enterprise Linux OS available on demand Wednesday by
| releasing it for the Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) service that hosts
| business applications. The move is part of Red Hat's so-called "automation"
| strategy, which aims to deliver a Linux and open-source infrastructure for
| simplifying how applications run and are managed.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071107/tc_infoworld/93257

(Amazon's Open Source Strategy)
LIVE BLOG: MIT Emerging Tech (Morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Amazon.com has launched several services
| that allow small companies to leverage the powerful
| tools of a big company such as Amazon.com. For instance,
| Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), creates a virtual
| Web-based Linux server that a small company can rent
| at 10 cents per CPU hour...  Bezos also described a
| fulfillment center service that the company offers,
| wherein a company can request both warehouse space
| and order fulfillment services for their own products.
| Amazon is literally offering distribution to their
| competitors!
|
| It is, in short, open source business strategy.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4198966.html

Firefox Extension for Amazon EC2 - an EC2 for the rest of us?

,----[ Quote ]
| The Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a Web-based service that
| allows business subscribers to run application programs in the Amazon.com
| computing environment. The EC2 can serve as a practically unlimited set of
| virtual machines.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=397

Is Red Hat's New Development Environment Destined for an Amazon or IBM Cloud?

,----[ Quote ]
| So who will be the one to move their tools environment to the Amazon cloud
| first? Perhaps Amazon will offer several tools options, such as one for web
| apps and mashups, and another (or two) for Java development? You know you
| want to, Jeff.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56865-is-red-hat-s-new-development-environment-destined-for-an-amazon-or-ibm-cloud?source=yahoo

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
| (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
| systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

Amazon.com Launches Wireless Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based device weighs 10.3 ounces, can store 200 titles on its 250 MB
| of onboard flash memory, and its battery can hold a charge for two days with
| the wireless feature on and seven days with it off, Amazon said. The reader
| is made by a Chinese OEM and can be purchased on Amazon.com for $399.
`----

http://sony.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=237306

ElasticDrive Beta 0.1.6 - Amazon S3 FileSystem

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=396