[News] Another German City Migrates to Ubuntu GNU/Linux

DE: Böblingen considering migration to Open Source desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The city of Böblingen in the south of Germany next year will try out
| migrating to an Open Source desktop. It wants to have an alternative in place
| when its current proprietary licences run out around 2010.
| Three of the city's about a dozen departments will be moving to a desktop
| based on the Ubuntu GNU/Linux distribution, according to David Gümbel, an
| Open Source IT consultant helping the city administration with the migration.

It's interesting that they did not choose SUSE.

German Federal Government to Support ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| State Secretary Dr. Hans Bernhard Beus, Federal Government for Information
| Technology and chairman of the IT Council, described the decision as "a major
| step to increase competition among software vendors to promote the IT
| security and strengthen the interoperability to improve because open document
| formats will be fully and regularly published."

Germany: 'Cost of Open Source desktop maintenance is by far the lowest'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Foreign Ministry is migrating all of its 11.000 desktops to GNU/Linux and
| other Open source applications. According to Schuster, this has drastically
| reduced maintenance costs in comparison with other ministries. "The Foreign
| Ministry is running desktops in many far away and some very difficult
| locations. Yet we spend only one thousand euro per desktop per year. That is
| far lower than other ministries, that on average spend more than 3000 euro
| per desktop per year."

German Home Savings and Loan Association Relies on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE: RHT), the world’s leading provider of open source solutions,
| today announced that Vereinsbank Victoria Bauspar AG (VVB), a German private
| home savings and loan association, has implemented SEP sesam running on Red
| Hat Enterprise Linux 5 to maintain its backup and recovery solution for all
| database applications in its two parallel data centers. The high-performance
| solution enhances data transfer rates, speeding the resolution of backups
| while reducing maintenance and administration efforts.

DE: Manual for migrating to Open Source updated

,----[ Quote ]
| The German Ministry of the Interior has published the third edition of
| its 'Migrationsleitfaden', a manual for public administrations  migrating to
| Open Source.

Three German KDE Deployments

,----[ Quote ]
| The IT Service Center Berlin has announced the development of a desktop
| system for the public services in Germany's capital (Google Translate to
| English). This is yet another public body making the switch to the Free
| Desktop system

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
| Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
| BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
| story for ODF!

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred  of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.

Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

,----[ Quote ]
| The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
| the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
| displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
| party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
| today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
| people per day according to their web site.

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.

199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.

Green Euro MP supports call for better access to open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| European citizens have the right to freely access documents and information
| from the institutions which represent them, and it is about time that the use
| of open source software became more widespread
| Open source software (1) should be more widely available in order to help
| reduce the 'digital divide', according to Dr Caroline Lucas, Green MEP for
| the South East.
| Dr Lucas has added her signature to a written declaration in the European
| Parliament - like an Early Day Motion (EDM) in the House of Commons -
| recognising the growing disparities in access to information and
| communication technologies throughout the European Union, and calling for
| increased use of open source technology.

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure