[News] Australian Government Pressure to Give Free Software to Each Child

Only Linux can ensure that each Australian School Child can be given a Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Federal and State governments have announced programmes to
| give school kids laptops. However, there are ongoing cost and deployment
| issues, which are causing these programmes to be delayed or stopped. In
| response to this, Cybersource has prepared a free, Linux-based solution, for
| use by Australian Schools, which makes it possible to bring one million new
| laptops to Australian school children.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/11069.html

Recent:

Open source USB key to $2bn laptop plan

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to iTnews, Cybersource CEO Con Zymaris said a $2 billion funding
| injection – double the original commitment – would be needed to put some four
| million netbooks on the desks of Australian school students.
|
| The Federal government estimates the total cost per laptop to be up to $2,500
| over four years.
|
| [...]
|
| Cybersource is proposing a variation of a model adopted by French schools ,
| where students are issued with a 2-4 GB USB key that contains a self-booting
| Linux operating system ‘and all the core applications they need’.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/90863,open-source-usb-key-to-2bn-laptop-plan.aspx

PCs for schools: an open source solution

,----[ Quote ]
| Last year, when Australia went to the polls, one of the major promises held
| out by the Labor Party - which ultimately returned to government after 11
| years - was the provision of computers to school-children, one for each child
| in grades 9 to 12.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22225/1090/

Microsoft Executive: Netbooks Risk Cannibalizing Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| "My personal view is that there's some cannibalization and some incremental (
| growth in units)," Bill Veghte, who runs Microsoft's Windows unit, said at a
| technology conference.
|
| Veghte said that Windows was on about 70% of Netbooks in the market.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200812031212DOWJONESDJONLINE000716_FORTUNE5.htm

is there a long-term future for the netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| The retail impact of Linux in the netbook market has been huge, with many
| retailers reporting that Linux based netbooks were taking up 40% or more of
| their notebook class shipments.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2008/11/is-there-long-term-future-for-netbook.html

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

Microsoft Missing Out on Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a3VyE_ofSwwE