[News] Very High-end Desktops Run GNU/Linux

7Desk: Linux-based Intel Core i7 Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| eRacks Open Source Systems announced a new desktop model using Intel Core i7
| (Nehalem) processor.

eRacks Announces a Linux Intel Core i7 Desktop Computer

,----[ Summary ]
| eRacks Open Source Systems announced a new desktop model that uses the
| recently-released, highly-acclaimed Intel Core i7 processor. The Core i7
| CPU's architectural improvements include an integrated memory controller that
| doubles or even triples the peak memory bandwidth compared to other top of
| the line processors

Why is Linux THE FASTEST operating system today?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that I mentioned supercomputers at the time of this writing the worlds
| fastest supercomputer runs Linux. In fact most of them run Linux as you will
| see here in the list of the top 500 supercomputers. Out of all of the
| operating systems on these supercomputers Linux is a whopping 87.8% with
| windows only (giggle) 1% as can be seen here. The current worlds fastest
| supercomputer runs..... Redhat Linux and Fedora. The exact same ones you can
| download and install on your personal computer.

If it's animation or special effects, it's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Rowe's not just being a Linux booster. It's the Gospel truth. The animation
| and FX for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Star Wars: The
| Clone Wars; WALL-E; 300; The Golden Compass; Harry Potter and the Order of
| the Phoenix; and I Am Legend, to name but a few recent movies, were all
| created using Pixar's RenderMan and Autodesk Maya running on Linux clusters.

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]