[News] Another Reason to Embrace Firefox and for Windows to Concede Illegal IE Integration

  • Subject: [News] Another Reason to Embrace Firefox and for Windows to Concede Illegal IE Integration
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 13:29:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

All Internet Explorer Versions Have Hole

,----[ Quote ]
| The unpatched bug in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) that hackers are now
| exploiting also exists in older versions of the browser, including the
| still-widely-used IE6, Microsoft Corp. said.
|
| Friday, a Danish security researcher added that Microsoft's original
| countermeasure advice was insufficient, and recommended users take one of the
| new steps the company spelled out.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155475/ie_browser_flaw.html?tk=rss_news

Related:

Ten years of Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago, Netscape announced it would release to the public the code of
| its flag ship product, Netscape Communicator 5, making it an open source
| product. The action came at a time when Netscape was still the dominant web
| browser: 65 million users and 90% market share in the educational segment
| according to Netscape’s own accounts. But Microsoft’s Internet Explorer was
| grabbing share at a furious pace thanks to it being free (at a time Netscape
| was about$30) and specially the fact that it came bundled with Windows 95 and
| upcoming Windows 98 (released on June 1998).
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/01/ten-years-of-mozilla/

Gates deposition videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Boies: Do you remember that in January, 1996, a lot of OEMs were
| bundling non-Microsoft browsers?
|
| Gates: I'm not sure.
|
| Boies: What were the non-Microsoft browsers that you were
| concerned about in January of 1996?
|
| Gates: What's the question? You're trying to get me to recall
| what other browsers I was thinking about when I wrote that sentence?
|
| Boies: No, because you've told me that you don't know what you
| were thinking about when you wrote that sentence.
|
| Gates: Right.
|
| Boies: What I'm trying to do is get you to tell me what
| non-Microsoft browsers you were concerned about in January of
| 1996. If it had been only one, I probably would have used the
| name of it. Instead I seem to be using the term non-Microsoft
| browsers. My question is what non-Microsoft browsers were you
| concerned about in January of 1996?
|
| Gates: I'm sure -- what's the question? Is it -- are you asking
| me about when I wrote this e-mail or what are you asking me about?
|
| Boies: I'm asking you about January of 1996.
|
| Gates: That month?
|
| Boies: Yes, sir.
|
| Gates: And what about it?
|
| Boies: What non-Microsoft browsers were you concerned about in
| January of 1996?
|
| Gates: I don't know what you mean "concerned."
|
| Boies: What is it about the word "concerned" that you don't
| understand?
|
| Gates: I'm not sure what you mean by it.
`----

http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/02/gates_depositio.php

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]