[News] Epidemiological Analysis Software Brought to GNU/Linux, Becomes Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Epidemiological Analysis Software Brought to GNU/Linux, Becomes Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 12:02:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CDC takes its epidemiological software open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released an open-source
| version of its software for epidemiological analysis.
|
| [...]
|
| Nieves said CDC has tested Epi Info Community Edition on Ubuntu, a
| Linux-based operating system. He said the software has not been tested on any
| other Linux distribution. “The reason we use [Ubuntu], is it’s one of the
| most popular Linux distributions and one of the most user friendly,” Nieves
| said.
|
| The open-source release includes support for MySQL, according to CDC. In
| contrast to the unfinished, pre-beta software, the non-open source edition of
| Epi Info, Version 3.5.1, is a stable distribution, Nieves said. That version
| is available on the CDC’s website.
|
| Nieves said Epi Info Version 3.5.1 combines proprietary and non-proprietary
| components and so would have been awkward to release as open source software,
| hence the rewrite.
`----

http://www.govhealthit.com/online/news/350715-1.html

Recent:

IBM supercomputer boosts cancer research

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM System Cluster 1350 supercomputer includes 1,344 processor cores in a
| Linux cluster running at 12.5 teraflops (trillion calculations per second)
| with 150TB of storage, making it one of the fastest research clusters north
| of the US border.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2220318/ibm-supercomputer-boosts-cancer

Open source solves UK cancer charity challenges

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2008/06/open_source_sol.html