[News] MAFIAA Finds "Useful Idiots" in Government

UK Culture Secretary Pushes Copyright Extension With Questionable Logic

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a lot more in the speech that is equally troubling, but it's just
| repeating the same old talking points. The speech also ignores the research
| that has shown that copyright extension won't actually give very much to the
| musicians, but will dump millions into the coffers of the big record labels.
| It's not surprising, because we've heard this before, but it's a speech that
| ignores reality and paints a fantasy picture of both what's happening in the
| industry and the entire purpose of copyright law.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081211/1131193091.shtml

Days ago:

Internet Filtering Appearing On Various Wishlists For Obama

,----[ Quote ]
| It's tough to get that worked up about the various "wishlists" being sent by
| different interest groups to President-elect Obama. After all, you'd expect
| the groups to basically push for their entire agenda, and there's no
| indication that an Obama administration will agree to any of these -- but
| it's still worth watching. For example, the MPAA's wishlist includes plenty
| of forced filtering and a "three strikes" policy that Europe recently
| rejected as taking away basic human rights (there's that MPAA spirit!).
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/1826113082.shtml

Internet Censors Must Be Accountable For The Things They Break

,----[ Quote ]
| Censorship technologies are purveyed as a way to protect us from the evils of
| child abuse. But they're costly systems that are unlikely to actually protect
| anyone or prevent any child abuse — they're more likely to interfere with the
| way the Internet works and hamper innovation by online communities.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/12/internet-censors-must-be-accountable-things-they-b

Labor plan to censor internet in shreds

,----[ Quote ]
| The Government's plan to censor the internet is in tatters, with Australia's
| largest ISP saying it will not take part in live trials of the system and the
| second largest committing only to a scaled-back trial.
|
| And the Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, has written to critics
| saying that the so-called "live" trials would be "a closed network test and
| will not involve actual customers". Greens Senator Scott Ludlam said this was
| a sign the Government was slowly backing away from the heavily criticised
| policy.
`----

http://www.theage.com.au/news/home/technology/labor-plan-to-censor-internet-in-shreds/2008/12/09/1228584820006.html

Copyright Blurp #1