[News] Fun with Debian, PCLinuxOS 2009 Beta 2 and Vector on Laptops

Debian on a Dell E4300

,----[ Quote ]
| Works out of the box using pm-utils. No need for quirks.
|
| All in all, it was easier than I expected, and support will probably be
| perfect for lenny+1/2 ;)
`----

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=323

Two New Linux Beta Distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're interested in new Linux distributions, here are a couple of new
| Betas that I have taken a quick look at:
|
| PCLinuxOS 2009 Beta 2. Although this distribution is derived from Mandriva,
| they don't attempt to track Mandriva's 6-month release schedule.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/zdnetuk/community/blog/0,1000000567,10009983o-2000498448b,00.htm

Related:

Separating Suspend and Hibernation

,----[ Quote ]
| "The following three patches are intended to start the redesign of the
| suspend and hibernation framework for devices," began Rafael Wysocki. He
| noted that the first patch introduces new callbacks for suspend and
| hibernation, while the other two patches implement the new suspend and
| hibernation callbacks for the platform and PCI bus types.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Separating_Suspend_and_Hibernation

Testing Suspend and Hibernation

,----[ Quote ]
| "The following patches add a new testing facility for suspend and
| hibernation," noted Rafael J. Wysocki. He continued, "the first patch adds
| the possibility to test the suspend (STD) core code without actually
| suspending, which is useful for tracking problems with drivers etc. The
| second one modifies the hibernation core so that it can use the same facility
| (it's a bit more powerful than the existing hibernation test modes, since
| they really can't test the ACPI global methods)."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Testing_Suspend_and_Hibernation

Linux: Rethinking Suspend and Resume

,----[ Quote ]
| What started as the review of a bug report grew into an interesting
| debate as Linus Torvalds slammed the current suspend and resume design
| in the Linux Kernel...
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8267

Linux: Kexec Hibernation Performance