Re: [News] GNU/Linux is Growing at High Rates in China

  this bit o' wisdom:

> "It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
> when there's not."
>
>                                 --Bill Gates

   http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/

   Today Gates openly concedes that tolerating piracy turned out to be
   Microsoft's best long-term strategy. That's why Windows is used on an
   estimated 90% of China's 120 million PCs. "It's easier for our software
   to compete with Linux when there's piracy than when there's not," Gates
   says. "Are you kidding? You can get the real thing, and you get the same
   price."

The real thing?  To continue:

   Indeed, in China's back alleys, Linux often costs more than Windows
   because it requires more disks. And Microsoft's own prices have dropped
   so low it now sells a $3 package of Windows and Office to students.

On a more political note:

   Toward the end of Gates' trip, on the sidelines of China's Boao Forum, I
   sat down again with the Microsoft founder. One of the things I wanted to
   ask him was how he squares the company's "alignment" in China with its
   leaders' suppression of free speech on the Internet and what many
   consider to be their general disregard for human rights. Our
   conversation, which had been flowing freely, ground to a halt. He said
   nothing. His silence lasted so long I found myself piping up out of
   discomfort. "That's a very pregnant pause," I said. "I don't think I want
   to give an answer to that," he finally replied.

I wonder if he was rocking.

--
My godda bless, never I see sucha people.
		-- Signor Piozzi, quoted by Cecilia Thrale