[News] OpenSolaris Still Wants to Steal Linux's Show, Gets Zmanda Deal

Will OpenSolaris 2008.11 Attract Linux Users?

,----[ Quote ]
| This new set of features for OpenSolaris is definitely a step in the right
| direction. We only hope that they do not get bogged down in the cool new
| projects and neglect the main contributors to success: being more Linux-like
| in the userland. New features are great, and Time Slider is the premiere
| example of really neat advances, but no CUPS yet? No SPARC support until the
| next release? Only 1506 packages in the main repository?
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3790341

First Look: NexentaCore OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, I read about NexentaCore, a new experimental operating system that
| seeks to merge the functionality of a Linux user environment with the
| OpenSolaris OS kernel, supporting the ZFS file system. I downloaded
| NexentaCore, currently at version 1.01, and tried it out using VirtualBox.
`----

http://rcpmag.com/news/article.aspx?editorialsid=10445

Zmanda Partners With Sun to Launch Advanced Backup Solutions Based on
OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
| Zmanda(TM), the leader in open source backup and recovery software, today
| announced that both Amanda Enterprise and Zmanda Recovery Manager (ZRM) for
| MySQL are fully supported and certified on the OpenSolaris 2008.11 platform,
| which was announced by Sun Microsystems...
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Zmanda-Partners-With-Sun-Launch/story.aspx?guid=%7BF9129A99-220E-4990-BCF6-6BFB4631A8E0%7D
http://tinyurl.com/6nplco

Recent:

Sabre Holdings: Red Hat Thrives in Place of Unix

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netos/article.php/3781171