[News] GNU/Linux the Best Operating System for SSD

Which operating system is best for solid-state drives?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Far, Mac OS X runs "a little faster than Vista" with an SSD
| drive, but Linux is "always faster" than Vista or Mac OS X -- to the tune of
| 1% to 2% -- because like Windows 2000, "it never runs anything in the
| background."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9123140&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Linux numero unu... proprietary counterparts just playing catchup.

Recent:

If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| It's Windows Vista's fault that solid-state storage isn't performing as well
| as its proponents predicted. So said SanDisk CEO Eli Harari, but at least he
| didn't go as far as saying it's Microsoft's problem to fix.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/

Benchmarking SSD for MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I bought Intel X25-M, to test its performance and consider if we could
| replace a HDD used in our slave database of Pathtraq with a solid state disk.
`----

http://labs.cybozu.co.jp/blog/kazuhoatwork/2008/10/benchmarking_ssd_for_mysql.php

Asus breaks sub-$300 price barrier with Eee PC 900A at Best Buy

,----[ Quote ]
| As in 1.6 GHz Intel Atom. So it still comes with Linux pre-installed on the
| 4GB SSD drive and includes 1GB of RAM which is more than plenty. My original
| Eee PC was pretty zippy when running Linux with just half of that.
`----

http://www.jkontherun.com/2008/10/asus-breaks-sub.html

Netbooks and Mini-Laptops Buyer's Guide

,----[ Quote ]
| The article on El Reg begins with what I think is a highly debatable (at
| best) or dubious (in reality) statement: namely, that you should opt for a
| netbook with an SSD, or solid state drive, instead of a model with a more
| traditional hard drive. "We'd argue that the solid-state drive is what the
| SCC is all about," El Reg argues, "capacity enough for the OS and a sub-set
| of your data, with the resilience you want from a throw-around machine."
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/20286/Netbooks_and_Mini-Laptops_Buyer_s_Guide

Geek Sheet: A Tweaker’s Guide to Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Tweak #4: Ditch the journal and RAID your SSDs.  File system journaling is
| done primarily for increased reliability, but it’s a drag on performance.
| Given that SSDs by their nature are going to be less prone to reliability
| quirks than a conventional drive, Mandrake suggests creating a RAID1 of two
| SSD units and formatting the file system to ext2, or formatting them to ext3
| and mounting them as ext2 in the /etc/fstab. Dump your MySQL database on a
| RAID of ext2 SSDs, and you’ll be in performance hog heaven.
|
| Gonna mortgage your house or send your children into slavery for sweet SSD
| love?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190

Related:

Vista - How Much Memory Can I Have With Windows Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/vista/vista-32bit-memory.htm