Re: [News] Evidence of People Moving to GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) at Home & Work

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Ubuntu@Work, finally?!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I cannot forget this day in my life. I?ve been granted permission by my
> | company to use Ubuntu Linux for my work from today. It was like a dream
> | come true for me. I?ve been using Windows for any serious kind of
> | development work till yesterday. Today I felt extremely happy when I
> | booted into linux at my work place for the first time ever to do
> | development. Hurrah! Ubuntu@Work, finally?!
> `----
>
> http://jamesselvakumar.wordpress.com/2008/12/09/ubuntuwork-finally/

Thats exactly what happened at my place and since then I let it rip
through work. Its just fantastic - hardly anyone can keep tabs
on anything because so much gets done and so much information
is produced that its a full time job just to read all the stuff
I generate.

To make the work environment more productive, I have seamonkey
installed which has a WYSIWYG editor that keeps all the documentation
in web format.
I have 8 megapixel camera with a hand shake reduction and macro down to
about a centimeter - $200 camera - that keeps photographs on
everything including documents - no need for scanner - because it
capatures A4 and A3 with perfect clarity.
Then I use gambas2 on Ubuntu to script up various tasks into buttons
and forms. At the click of a button for example, bash scripts run that
sync up data from local machine to server keeping everyone updated.
Scripting dumbs down routine tasks into a single button press.
I've scripted the embedded controller programming so I just press
buttons to for it to take compiled files and flash them to controllers.
The reports the controller produces are taken in via optically isolated
RS232 (soon to be bluetooth RS232) and then archived away by scripts
attached to buttons.
Very soon more scripts will also turn them into ODF spreadsheets
and graphs and file it into the web based documentation system.
Very soon also, the doxggen tools will be scripted and produce
their own web documentation that just links into the existing documentation.
All the while in the background I have two webservers being
attacked with backtrack running from virtual machine for
penetration testing. And each of those are headless with ssh
running so I can ssh -X from my desktop through different
virtual windows and inspect and modify all their
files, MySQL server, PHP scripts as if I were sitting in front of those
machines by rotating the cube display.

Its just absolutely mind bogglingly fantastic!!!

The ARM chips are now selling for $7 for 400MHz chips and they come
with Linux and U-Boot - ( http://www.linux4sam.org/ ) so I'm
assuming next year I'll probably take up Linux embedded controller
design because these chips are becoming so cheap that its not
economic to develop islands of home grown embedded software
outside of a decent operating system like Linux.