[News] [Rival] Almost Every Windows Box is Left Totally Vulnerable Again

Two new zero-day exploits dent Microsoft's Patch Tuesday

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Patch Day delivered eight updates, but has been overshadowed by
| newly discovered zero day holes, which are apparently not closed by the new
| updates.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/120239

Third Zero Day exploit appears

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has confirmed it is investigating another zero day exploit.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/120241

Another Microsoft Bug Revealed on Huge Patch Day

,----[ Quote ]
| Along with its biggest patch release in five years, Microsoft warned on
| Tuesday of another potentially dangerous vulnerability in its software.
|
| The problem lies within the WordPad Text Converter for Word 97 files,
| Microsoft said in an advisory.
|
| The systems affected include Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows XP Service
| Pack 2, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 and Windows Server 2003 Service
| Pack 2, Microsoft said. XP Service Pack 3 and the Vista operating systems are
| not affected.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155253/.html?tk=rss_news

Recent:

PR spinner insists Vista kernel is secure

,----[ Quote ]
| IT IS NOT OFTEN that anyone at Waggener Edstrom, Microsoft's pet public
| relations firm, writes to The INQUIRER. Read on, and we think you'll soon
| understand why that's the case.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/04/vista-kernel-secure-insists

Windows patching abysmal, and getting worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Fewer than one in 50 Windows PCs are fully patched, according to stats from
| users of Secunia's new patching tool, which suggest surfers are becoming even
| more slipshod with applying patches over the last year.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/03/secunia_patching_survey/

Virus hits nearly 75% of systems on Afghanistan military base

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2232&tag=nl.e550

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Military Base in Afghanistan

,----[ Quote ]
| The largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan was hit by a computer virus
| earlier this month that affected nearly three quarters of the computers on
| the base, U.S. News has learned.
`----

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/iraq/2008/11/28/computer-virus-hits-us-military-base-in-afghanistan.html

Bots rule in cyberspace