[News] Push for Free Software and GNU/Linux in School

Dear Mr. Obama - Small and Medium Business

,----[ Quote ]
| Universities that receive federal grants and funds should not be
| teaching "software products" in their courses. They should be teaching
| software principles. I believe these software principles are best taught
| through the use of Free Software.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/blogs/paw_prints_writings_of_the_maddog/dear_mr_obama_small_and_medium_business?blogbox
http://tinyurl.com/5vhgax

Clueless shills stand in the way:

Linux - Stop holding our kids back

,----[ Quote ]
| I don't know when you attended college Karen but the Linux of even two years
| ago pales in feature and ability to what there is available now...and that in
| turn will pale in a year's time. linux is superior to MS windows in so many
| ways, they are too numerous to mention here...I am weary of enumerating them.
| Unlike Microsoft who meters their "improvements" and then shovels them to you
| every five years or so for purchase; Linux releases their improvements upon
| their completion.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."

                                --Paul Maritz, Microsoft

Recent:

Using Ubuntu Linux at the American International School

,----[ Quote ]
| I gave the following ad hoc presentation at Barcamp Saigon last Saturday.
| Just want to share the presentation with everyone.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2008/11/18/using-ubuntu-linux-at-the-american-international-school/

All Russian Schools to Use Free Software

,----[ Quote ]
| I've often lamented how few schools in the UK use free software, and how
| difficult it is to break the lock that Microsoft has on the entire
| educational system. The pathetic state here is highlighted by contrast with
| Russia, which is making amazing strides in rolling out open source to
| schools.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1423&blogid=14

The kids are all right with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently my son’s school spent the summer ripping out the old PC system and
| replacing it with a centralized Linux server and terminals.
|
| Now here’s the real shocking part.
|
| No one noticed. There’s not even a mention of it on the school Web site.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2769

Teaching tech to tots: The use of Linux and open source in pre-schools

,----[ Quote ]
| What started as wondering how to contribute to my 5 year old son’s pre-school
| lead to the discovery of some absolutely terrific open source software that
| really aids the educational process. Here’s why even in this Microsoft world
| Linux is the best platform for early childhood education.
|
| [...]
|
| Yet, there was another option: Ubuntu Linux, rapidly becoming the best known
| Linux distribution available and which specifically has an educational add-on
| called Edubuntu.
|
| [...]
|
| If you are a parent or educator, do look into what open source software has
| to offer you, and do so without fear that your child will have difficulties
| transitioning from Microsoft Windows to a Linux environment.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/19805/1141/

Related:

Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
| Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
| the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
| across the country in the near future.
`----

http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

FR: Education Ministry encourages Open Source use

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7663/469