[News] Australian Tax Office Successfully Pushed Away from MugabeSoft

E-tax could include Apple, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| APPLE and Linux users may soon be able to lodge their tax returns online
| alongside millions of Windows computer owners that have been doing so since
| 1999.
|
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) wants to make its e-tax self-lodgement
| software, available on non-Windows operating systems for the first time,
| tender documents have revealed.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24774196-15319,00.html

Recent:

Macs, Linux to wait as ATO tenders e-tax

,----[ Quote ]
| The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) last week put the contract to maintain
| and develop its e-tax system out to market, with indications remaining that
| Mac OS X and Linux versions of the software are a ways off.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Macs-Linux-to-wait-as-ATO-tenders-e-tax/0,130061733,339293572,00.htm?omnRef=1337

Linux and the tax office: never the twain shall meet

,----[ Quote ]
| Why would a government body offer trial software for small and other
| businesses which use the GNU/Linux operating system, take it offline when the
| interest in it grows and keep quiet about it thereafter?
|
| [...]
|
| "The value to Australia of the uptake by business of the Linux operating
| system is substantial: In terms of balance of payments, the licence fees
| which would go across the globe to Microsoft, could remain in our own
| economy. This would have a positive effect on our balance of payments.
| Government could save money, and the general population could correspond with
| Government without the need for expensive proprietary Office programs.
|
| "Transactions with the ATO need to be conducted under the most secure
| arrangements possible. Linux and MacOSX answer this need best of all. Why
| would businesses operate their financial and taxation affairs under Windows
| unless the ATO was forcing their choice of an insecure platform? By
| obstructing the uptake of Linux by business the ATO are complicit in
| sabotaging the security of Australian businesses, and of putting the
| interests of a foreign company ahead of the national interest."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18252/1090/

Related:

Taxman targets Mac, Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesperson for the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) said compatibility
| of the application would extend to the Apple Macintosh and Linux
| operating systems. E-tax has so far required taxpayers to use
| Microsoft's Windows OS.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Taxman-targets-Mac-Linux-users/0,130061733,339274344,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/ypytk6

Taxman's Damascus moment: not all computers run Windows

,----[ Quote ]