[News] Sarkozy & EU Cronies Try to Ressurect Anti-FOSS Patent Office

EU seen edging towards deal on patents in 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| A deal on a so-called community patent has long eluded the 27 European Union
| governments, due to spats over which languages to use and what sort of legal
| framework was needed.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8111924

French IP chief confident of European patent breakthrough in 2009, but we've
heard it all before

,----[ Quote ]
| As we all now know, the hoped for breakthrough under the French presidency
| did not happen. The reasons for this are basically those that I have already
| explained in previous blogs: problems over language and money for the
| national patent offices. However, Battistelli declared that, although there
| were still major difficulties to resolve in these two areas, as well as a
| number of specific technical problems to overcome with regard to the court,
| the glass was now 80% to 90% full. “I am optimistic that the forthcoming
| [Czech and Swedish] presidencies can build on this and that there will be
| good news in 2009,” he said.
`----

http://www.iam-magazine.com/blog/Detail.aspx?g=5ef8da38-aeb9-45c3-94c6-c48f7dfae43e

Related:

EU a step closer to a Community Patent Litigation System

,----[ Quote ]
| Who doesn't like patent litigation? I know I do. What could be more fun than
| reading newspapers articles about companies suing the pants out of each other
| for infringing on ideas the suing party are theirs. It doesn't matter that
| the defendant might never even have heard of the patent in question, as
| patent law nevertheless applies and gives the claimant a chance to make a
| windfall in damages for patent infringement.
|
| The EU is now close to setting up its own Community Patent Litigation System
| (CPLS), which would turn the current national-based litigation into something
| bigger, a community-wide litigation-fest. The idea of a CPLS came from the
| Commission back in 2004, but since then the Member State politicians have
| gotten involved and have been hard at work in coming up with a proposal for
| such a system.
`----

http://euparl.blogspot.com/2008/01/eu-step-closer-to-community-patent.html

Recent:

European Council Rejects EU Parliament's Amendment Against Three Strikes Rule

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, TorrentFreak notes that French President Sarkozy just so happens to be
| President of the European Council, and as we recently noted, France just
| recently moved forward in approving a three strikes law, which was originally
| championed by Sarkozy. So, rather than listen to the vast majority of the EU
| Parliament, Sarkozy has apparently convinced the Council to let him push
| through this particular law, despite the widespread concerns about its
| draconian nature.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081201/0245052983.shtml

Free (but censored) wireless Internet for the Land of the Free

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/22050/1055/