[News] Bio-Formats and Engineering Meet Free Software Philosophy

Open Source: Engineering Scarcity

,----[ Quote ]
| When you’re a reporter, there are stories you hope will resonate, there are
| stories you are surprised anyone cares about, and then there are stories like
| the one we ran as the lead story in our Nov. 24 issue. The headline
| read: “Death of Display?” I was pretty sure that would get people’s
| attention. Boy, did it ever.
`----

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content_display/community/opinion/e3ia94437f59a5754cad8611af1b449d731

OME’s Commercial Arm Glencoe to Sell Licenses for Open-Source Bio-Formats
Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Glencoe and the Laboratory for Optical and Computational Instrumentation at
| the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the developer of Bio-Formats, said
| that the licensing deal will keep the software open source while allowing
| commercial organizations to redistribute it.
`----

http://www.bioinform.com/issues/12_47/features/151119-1.html

Recent:

How Open Source Biology May Rock Your World

,----[ Quote ]
| Drew Endy, an open source biologist currently working at Stanford, is a good
| example of why. Along with several researchers at MIT, Endy is working on
| synthetic biology and the engineering of standardized biological components
| and devices, known as BioBricks.
`----

http://ostatic.com/173578-blog/how-open-source-biology-may-rock-your-world

Wndchrm - an open source utility for biological image analysis

,----[ Quote ]
| Methods: Wndchrm is an open source utility for biological image analysis.
|
| The software works by first extracting image content descriptors from the raw
| image, image transforms, and compound image transforms. Then, the most
| informative features are selected, and the images are analyzed.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/286289/wndchrm___an_open_source_utility_for_biological_image_analysis.html
http://tinyurl.com/6ahcxl

The Systems Biology Research Tool: evolvable open-source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusions: The Systems Biology Research Tool represents a technological
| advance for systems biology. This software can be used to make sophisticated
| computational techniques accessible to everyone (including those with no
| programming ability), to facilitate cooperation among researchers, and to
| expedite progress in the field of systems biology.
`----

http://7thspace.com/headlines/285711/the_systems_biology_research_tool_evolvable_open_source_software.html

New born BioPuppy Linux for Bioinformatics

,----[ Quote ]
| BioPuppy OS is an electronic workbench for bio-informatics and computational
| biology. It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners. BioPuppy is
| available as a live CD cum installation CD [and in USB Pen drive] and
| containing all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use
| bio-informatics tools.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/new-born-biopuppy-linux-for-bioinformatics-642386/#post3154096

Related:

Open source synthetic biology

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone within synthetic biology takes the open-source approach, Andrew
| Hessel, an iGEM consultant who recruits teams from Canadian universities,
| told me, but the driving force behind it is iGEM and MIT (Rettberg works with
| renowned hacker-turned-synthetic biologist Tom Knight). Hessel likened the
| atmosphere to the time when computers were first becoming cheap enough to be
| affordable by anyone who wanted one, and young, bright kids began to play
| around with code.
`----

http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/53822/

Biology Goes Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the world's biggest drug companies are finding that
| their genetic research is worth more to them if they give it away.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/business/2007/02/12/novartis-genes-diabetes-research-biz-cz_mh_0212novartis.html?partner=rss
http://tinyurl.com/2vqssl

Open Lab