[News] Advice for Choosing GNU/Linux and Making One's Own

Get your feet wet before taking the Linux plunge

,----[ Quote ]
| Many Linux distributions have all the software you'll need to create a
| separate disk-drive partition for Linux without altering your Windows setup,
| assuming there's room on the hard drive. You can then run either operating
| system at startup. Back up your system first, if you plan to use this "dual
| boot" option. Alternately, replace Windows altogether on an older PC you're
| not using. Check hardware compatibility, particularly printers, scanners and
| network cards. This kind of test on your regular PC also will confirm
| compatibility with your potential netbook purchase.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/business/yourmoney/ny-bzdolinar5953555dec07,0,5298323.column

Our guide to building your own online distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Wouldn't it be great if you could just click your way to a custom distro?
|
| After all, most of the packages you will need are sitting on a well-connected
| web server somewhere, so it makes sense to build ISO images and repositories
| directly on that server. And since that server has a HTTP interface, why not
| make the distro building software into a web application?
|
| This is the principle behind www.instalinux.com, created by Chris Slater.
| It's based on the SystemDesigner CGI scripts from the Linux Common Operating
| Environment project, originally developed as a tool for internal use at HP,
| and now released under the GNU GPL.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/our-guide-to-building-your-own-online-distro-485606?src=rss&attr=all

Recent:

Order From Chaos: Choosing A Linux Distribution - PART 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Choosing a Linux distribution from the dozens, if not hundreds, of available
| options can be a daunting and confusing proposition. What is the best distro?
| What are the differences between distros? How do I choose? These are all good
| questions. In this multi-part article, I will give you my opinion and
| guidelines for choosing.
`----

http://tech.bizriver.com/?p=39

Order From Chaos: Choosing A Linux Distribution - PART 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing you can do is to just do. Take what you have learned, download
| a few distros that piqued your interest and try them. Many of the major
| distros offer non-destructive means of trying them before you make the final
| decision.
`----

http://tech.bizriver.com/?p=37

Related: