[News] [Rival] Windows Not Repairable, So People Punished Rather Than Microsoft

Editor's Note: Instead of Throwing Everyone In Jail, Fix Your Lousy Products

,----[ Quote ]
| Have any of them-- has one single vendor, whether it's Symantec or Trend or
| McAfee or F-Secure or anyone-- ever said "Quit throwing your money down a
| rathole-- stop using Windows, or at least don't put it on the Internet"?
| Wouldn't that little tidbit of honesty be refreshing? But no, they'll never
| do that. If the same conditions existed in, say, the small home appliances
| industry people would be getting electrocuted by their toasters and hair
| dryers every day, and the manufacturers would advise them to learn correct
| handling of live wires, and a thriving industry of insulated safety garments
| would prey on the survivors. If they made safety gear for swimmers it would
| be so bulky and uncomfortable they either wouldn't use it, or they would
| drown under the weight of it.
|
| Following current trends, anyone who criticized them would be persecuted
| under the DMCA.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-12-05-031-35-PS

Punishment vs. Prevention

,----[ Quote ]
| practices and we need to be specific about what that training includes.
|
| Finally, I feel compelled to issue the warning, "Be careful what you wish
| for, because you might just get it." If the government takes over Internet
| security, there is sure to be a large amount of new regulation imposed. And
| this could mean security companies like F-Secure would have to devote a lot
| of resources towards compliance. I think it would be much better for us to
| take responsibility for finding solutions ourselves.
`----

http://realeyes-tech.blogspot.com/2008/12/punishment-vs-prevention.html

"Our products just aren't engineered for security."

                --Brian Valentine, Microsoft executive

Recent:

Apple Didn't Issue a New Anti-Virus Advisory

,----[ Quote ]
| Will bloggers and journalists please stop writing that Apple has suddenly
| advised its users to use anti-virus software? That's simply not true.
|
| [...]
|
| There haven't been any major new malware attacks to suggest increasing Mac
| marketshare has generated more malware. Just two weeks ago, I blogged that in
| fact Apple's increasing marketshare hadn't led to more attacks—that
| Microsoft's marketshare mythology is wrong.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/security/apple_didnt_issue_a_new_antivirus_advisory.html

Windows patching abysmal, and getting worse

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/03/secunia_patching_survey/

Apple Didn't Issue a New Anti-Virus Advisory

,----[ Quote ]
| Will bloggers and journalists please stop writing that Apple has suddenly
| advised its users to use anti-virus software? That's simply not true.
|
| [...]
|
| There haven't been any major new malware attacks to suggest increasing Mac
| marketshare has generated more malware. Just two weeks ago, I blogged that in
| fact Apple's increasing marketshare hadn't led to more attacks—that
| Microsoft's marketshare mythology is wrong.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/security/apple_didnt_issue_a_new_antivirus_advisory.html

Virus hits nearly 75% of systems on Afghanistan military base

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=2232&tag=nl.e550

Computer Virus Hits U.S. Military Base in Afghanistan

,----[ Quote ]
| The largest U.S. military base in Afghanistan was hit by a computer virus
| earlier this month that affected nearly three quarters of the computers on
| the base, U.S. News has learned.
`----

http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/iraq/2008/11/28/computer-virus-hits-us-military-base-in-afghanistan.html

Bots rule in cyberspace