[News] Free Software Foundation Europe Newsletter, Beats Microsoft

[FSFE PR][EN] FSFE Newsletter: October

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Antitrust work bears fruit
| 2. Fellowship interview: Rolf Camps
| 3. Free Software licensing and Net TV in Italy
| 4. Behind the Scenes at the Freedom Task Force
| 5. Fellowship meeting in Geneva
|
| [...]
|
| 1. Antitrust work bears fruit
|
| One year after the final court case was won, FSFE is pleased to hear that
| the Samba development team is getting useful interoperability information
| from Microsoft.  FSFE's goal was always to ensure that Free Software
| developers would benefit from any published information.  This outcome comes
| after 5 years of work from FSFE, the Samba team, and other organisations.
|
|   http://fsfeurope.org/projects/ms-vs-eu/

http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/fsfe_s_antitrust_victory_with_samba
`----

http://mail.fsfeurope.org/pipermail/press-release/2008q4/000221.html

Recent:

FSFE's antitrust victory with Samba

,----[ Quote ]
| FSFE's role in the antitrust case was to ensure that free software developers
| would be able to use any interoperability information that Microsoft would be
| forced to publish. After 5 years of work, the last court case was won last
| year. There were always doubts about whether Microsoft could really be pinned
| down, but from Samba developer Andrew Bartlet's blog, it seems the Samba team
| are now loving the interoperability information.
`----

http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/fsfe_s_antitrust_victory_with_samba

Samba Team Releases Samba 3.2

,----[ Quote ]
| The Samba Team is proud to announce the release of Samba 3.2, a major new
| release of the award-winning Free Software file and print server suite for
| Microsoft Windows clients.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2008-07-01-011-26-NW-SV-RL

Related:

FOSS folk who make us proud

,----[ Quote ]
| Five days ago, three members of the free and open source software community
| finally heaved a sigh of relief and wiped the sweat from their brows after
| winning a battle they had waged for years.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15896/1090/

Samba's Tridge clusters code and crowds

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: How much will the agreement result in the increased interoperability
|    between Windows and Linux/Unix?
|
| tridge: For the sections of the protocols we already implement, Samba already
|         has quite good interoperability. Where it will make more of a
|         difference is allowing us to expand into new areas where we
|         previously lacked features that Windows servers have. For example in
|         the area of Active Directory replication, and remote indexing.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;486554008;fp;4;fpid;4

Interview with Carlos Piana

,----[ Quote ]