[News] Thunderbird Turned to Uber-Mail Client with Free Extensions

10 Great Thunderbird Addons You Must-have

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a year back, Aibek has written a great list of 35 must-have
| thunderbird addons. Since then, a lot of great addons have been created and
| some of the older addons have also evolved to become a better one. As such,
| it is time for us to re-visit the list of Thunderbird addons and update our
| readers with the latest list of must-have Thunderbird addons. (If you never
| heard of Tunderbird before, it’s an email client from Mozilla, just like
| Microsoft’s Outlook but a lot more customizable.)

Firefox fun too:

Super Mario Firefox!

,----[ Quote ]
| The customization is limited to the main window and the toolbar background
| starts tiling just above 1000 pixels wide, but who cares? Mario and Luigi go
| to sleep if there’s nowhere to go back or forward!

Spreadthunderbird is Go

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the reasons that Firefox has been successful is the extraordinary way
| that users have been mobilised as part of a vast, global marketing group
| without precedent.
| Tens of thousands – perhaps even hundreds of thousands – of people have added
| their pebble to the cairn of promotion to produce the market shares we see
| today for Firefox (particularly in Europe).
| The main vehicle for creating and sustaining this distributed marketing team
| is Spreadfirefox, which effectively applied the open source software
| development methodology to the sphere of promotion. That is, it has made
| ordinary Firefox users feel engaged in the propagation of the software, just
| as they can become engaged in its development through bug reports.

Spread Thunderbird is live!

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging today announced the beta launch of SpreadThunderbird.com.
| Spread Thunderbird is the volunteer-run Mozilla Thunderbird advocacy site
| where community marketing activities are organized to raise awareness and to
| promote the adoption of Thunderbird.  The Spread Thunderbird site is powered
| by the open source Drupal web site software.

Interview with David Ascher and Dan Mosedale - Thunderbird - Mozilla Messaging

,----[ Quote ]
| In this interview we talk with David and Dan. In specific, we talk about:
|     * How Thunderbird fits into the larger software ecosystem
|     * Internal handling of security, feature inclusion, usability, and QA
|     * The relationship between Thunderbird and Linux distros
|     * Automated tools and processes within Thunderbird development
|     * The relationship between open source and proprietary messaging software
|     * Future directions for messaging

Mozilla Messaging releases new Thunderbird 3 alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging has launched the third alpha release of Thunderbird 3.0, a
| major update of the open source e-mail client. The current prerelease series,
| which is codenamed Shredder, is highly experimental and not intended for
| production use. The new alpha introduces tons of minor improvements and a
| handful of significant new features, including some of the first usability
| enhancements that are part of a major user interface overhaul.

Test Driving the new Thunderbird3 alpha2 (Shredder) on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Feeling a little adventurous today? Want to get your hands dirty on something
| cool and really alpha. Here is something for you all.
| The nice folks at mozilla spunoff Thunderbird into a separate project called
| Mozilla Messaging with a prime objective of developing Thunderbird3
| (codenamed Shredder), the next generation open-source email/messaging client.

Thunderbird: Way Beyond E-Mail

,----[ Quote ]
| One major advantage of Thunderbird is the client's expandability. This
| includes language dictionaries or free add-on modules like Enigmail to sign
| and encrypt e-mail messages and their attachments.

Connected: Microsoft Outlook 2007 is no prize, either

,----[ Quote ]
| Outlook 2007 is one of the weaker applications in Office 2007. At times I get
| so frustrated with its slow response and idiosyncrasies that I'm tempted to
| uninstall it and go back to Outlook 2003. Readers also have frustrations.

Connected: Microsoft Office 2003 better than Office 2007

,----[ Quote ]
| A review of Office 2007 could be considered doomed from the start. Its
| predecessor, Office 2003, is one of the best products Microsoft ever created;
| so the bar is raised high. After a year of using the newer product, I still
| see some features that are better than the older version; but on the whole,
| I'd rather be using Office 2003.

Thunderbird 3 email client makes alpha progress

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Messaging, the Mozilla subsidiary that took over responsiblity for
| Mozilla's Thunderbird email client in February, is making progress with the
| development of third version of the Thunderbird email client. It has now made
| an Alpha 2 release of Thunderbird 3, code-named "Shredder", available. This
| is not a release suitable for production, as the codename broadly hints; it
| is intended for testers to exercise new features and stability in the email
| client.

Open Office vs. MS Office - the Other Key to Windows/Linux Transition

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if your excuse for not giving Linux a try was that you needed to be able
| to work with your Office documents... well, you just ran out of excuses.
| Think of what you will gain, too! No more suffering through all the
| gratuitous menu/toolbar/button changes that Microsoft makes in every new
| Office release. No more suffering through incompatible file formats between
| releases, which Microsoft seems to do every two or three releases - this is
| the second time it has happened that I can recall, and I assume that the
| recent OOXML debacle means that there is another change coming in the next
| Office release. Best of all, no more having to pay to upgrade to the new
| version every time Microsoft sees fit.

Catch a Glimpse of Mozilla's E-Mail Future in Thunderbird 3 Alpha 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It's alive! Mozilla has released the first alpha version of its upcoming
| Thunderbird 3.0, the company's next-generation e-mail application. We don't
| suggest you rush out and download it unless you're a true early adopter; this
| release isn't stable and lacks many of the features planned for Thunderbird
| 3's final release.

Has Thunderbird Finally Taken Off?

,----[ Quote ]
| That seems not to be the case if these figures are at all representative of
| the wider world. And even if they're not, it suggests early adopters are,
| well, adopting Thunderbird in significant numbers.

Thunderbird 3.0 to begin ascent next month: what to expect

,----[ Quote ]
| The Thunderbird development community aims to release the first alpha of
| Thunderbird 3 next month. Plans began to take shape yesterday during the very
| first Thunderbird weekly status call meeting, at which developers discussed
| potential features and other issues of relevance.

Mozilla opens e-mail subsidiary

,----[ Quote ]
| The Mozilla Foundation Tuesday opened Mozilla Messaging, a new subsidiary
| focused on developing its free, open-source Thunderbird e-mail software.

Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0: New calendar, better search

,----[ Quote ]
| Thunderbird 3.0 is due to ship by the end of the year with a more
| comprehensive search feature and official integration of the Lightning
| calendar add-on, said David Ascher, chief executive of the newly named
| Mozilla Messaging subsidiary. The first alpha release will come sooner,
| though, for those who want to test the software.

E-mail client Thunderbird 3 to take wing

,----[ Quote ]
| David Ascher, head of the now independent spinoff of Mozilla provisionally
| called MailCo, has presented a rough road map for the development of the
| third version of the Thunderbird open source e-mail client. In the current
| quarter, an alpha version is scheduled to be released followed by a beta
| version in the second quarter, Ascher writes in a newsgroup entry.

Mozilla shoots for quick Thunderbird 3.0 alpha

,----[ Quote ]
| "I believe that it's really worthwhile to get a release underway. Testers
| have only had nightlies for quite a while now, and the trunk is already
| notably better than [Thunderbird 2.0] in a number of ways," Mosedale
| continued. "Getting something that we're willing to recommend to a wider
| group of people is a great way to demonstrate real progress."

E-mail inventor: I didn't foresee spam

,----[ Quote ]
| He uses Thunderbird, an e-mail application developed by Mozilla, the company
| which distributes the Firefox web browser, but he also has a Gmail account.
| He said he once had to use Outlook – “I didn’t find it particularly
| attractive”, and that for a time he blocked all incoming messages from
| Hotmail, “because they used to carry a lot of viruses – though they’ve
| clamped down on that.”

Mozilla Thunderbird vs. Microsoft Outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| For me, I’m going to stick with anything but Outlook for email for the
| reasons I’ve cited above.

10 Reasons You Should be Using Thunderbird

,----[ Gist ]