[News] Overview of GNU/Linux Desktop/Window Environments, Image Viewers

Alternate Linux desktops (Window Manager)

,----[ Quote ]
| Most Linux users are familiar with KDE and GNOME, as both are desktop
| environments used by most major Linux distributions but there are some really
| good alternate window manager out there. If you have some old PC with minimum
| hardware and want to run GUI on it then in this case the list of window
| manager provided below will definitely help you to chose one ..
|
| XFCE
|
| [...]
|
| Enlightement
`----

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/12/alternate-linux-desktops-window-manager.html

7 Best Free/Open-source Image Viewers for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| An image viewer (also known as image browser) is a desktop application that
| can quickly display or handle stored graphical images in different graphics
| file formats. It can render images according to properties of the display
| such as display resolution, color depth, and color profile. Other image
| viewers have advanced features like editing and web publishing.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/12/7-best-freeopen-source-image-viewers.html

Recent:

6 of the Best Lean Linux Desktop Environments

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainstream Linux distributions typically default to one of two desktop
| environments, KDE or GNOME. Both of these environments provide users with an
| intuitive and attractive desktop, as well as offering a large raft of
| multimedia software, games, administration programs, network tools,
| educational applications, utilities, artwork, web development tools and more.
| However, these two desktops focus more on providing users with a modern
| computing environment with all the bells and whistles featured in Windows
| Vista, rather than minimising the amount of system resources they need.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/2008112315231841/Desktop.html

The LXF Benchmark: Desktop environments

,----[ Quote ]
| It's widely accepted that Gnome and KDE are the heaviest Unix desktops, while
| Xfce is lighter and faster. Yet many accuse Xfce of piling on the pounds in
| recent releases, and debates rage on as to whether Gnome or KDE is the king
| of the memory munchers. So we've gathered together some extensive benchmarks
| to find out the real story.
|
| A desktop environment (DE) is not a window manager (WM) - the latter is a
| program which only draws and manages all the windows on your screen. A
| desktop environment is a homogeneous collection of tools, from window and
| file managers to hardware configuration utilities and (theoretically) any
| other application you may ever need. "Homogeneous" means that all pieces
| share the same base libraries and design guidelines, reusing interfaces (eg
| the file selector) and communicating with one another in various ways, from
| copy and pasting to opening a browser whenever you click on a URL.
`----

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=771

8 Great Alternative Desktop Managers For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Most of the Linux users should be familiar with Gnome and KDE since both of
| them are the most commonly used desktop managers in the various Linux
| distros. Now, if you are using an old PC with low hardware specs, you might
| find that the above two desktop environments are too heavy for your computer
| to handle.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/8-great-alternative-desktop-managers-for-linux/

5 Least Popular Desktop Environments for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE, GNOME, and Xfce are without doubt the most well-known desktop
| environments for Linux at the moment. They are utilized by majority of Linux
| Distributions simply because they are very much stable and usable. But did
| you know that there are other capable Free and Open-source desktop
| environments that you probably haven’t heard of?
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2008/08/5-least-popular-desktop-environments.html

Introduction to Linux: Desktop Environments

,----[ Quote ]
| You undoubtedly notice that, although the functionality seems to overall be
| similar (with a few minor exceptions), everything seems to use a different
| name and/or is in a different place. If you've explored more than one
| distribution, this may even seem to be the case between Linux distributions.
| I'll be covering the more mainstream desktop environments, as well as
| suggested programs to replace the ones you've come to rely on in Windows.
`----

http://www.techwarelabs.com/articles/editorials/linux-%20desktops/

Related:

More distros = more choice

,----[ Quote ]
| With more than 300 active distributions (distros), Linux is on a roll. Linux
| distros primarily differ in terms of features since they are built on
| variants of the same kernel (32-bit/64-bit; with various features of the
| kernel enabled or disabled). “All the Linux distributions come from the same
| upstream kernel and what distinguishes each distribution is how they provide
| support, get ISVs to certify the ISV applications on the specific
| distribution, and how IHVs (Independent Hardware Vendor) get to do the same,”
| feels Nandu Pradhan, President & Managing Director, Red Hat India.
`----

http://www.expresscomputeronline.com/20080211/opensource03.shtml

Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop Options

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to Desktop environments there are window managers that are
| separate programs that manage the windows and interface that you use. The
| reason you would explore the option of a different window manager is that it
| will use much less resources than the GNOME or KDE Desktop. However, less
| resources in terms of RAM and CPU means more basic features. In initial
| testing in similar settings for each these are the results. It is very clear
| that GNOME uses considerably more resources than any of the alternative
| window managers.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/index.php/desktop_training/ubuntuhardyheron_cat/112-ubuntu804/1035-ubuntu-804-desktop-options
http://tinyurl.com/6r432z

Messiness is better

,----[ Quote ]
| Had KDE not removed the problem, I could have set up Xfce. Had Xfce not
| solved the problem, I could turned to IceWM, Blackbox, Fluxbox, Afterstep or
| any of a couple of dozen other desktops or window manager.
|
| By contrast, had we been running Windows, she would have had to endure the
| problem, because only one desktop would be available for her (or perhaps I
| would have had to re-install). But, under GNU/Linux, I had an immediate
| choice of workarounds – and all because free software isn’t so rigidly
| organized that it has only one of everything. The redundancy that people love
| to decry makes an emergency far less urgent, so I, for one, hope that no
| distribution every tries to do much tidying.
`----

http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/messiness-is-better/

Wide world of desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| With that in mind, here’s a look at some of my favourite alternative desktops
| for Linux. They range from comprehensive to minimal, but they’re all great,
| and well worth a look if you want to try something new.
`----

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/feature.aspx?CIaFID=3741

Three reasons to use KDE

,----[ Quote ]
| Efficiency: The fast desktop
|
| Internet: The network desktop
|
| Applications: The useful, powerful and fun desktop
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2006/10/18/three-reasons-to-use-kde/

Three Reasons to Use GNOME

,----[ Quote ]