[News] Nokia Runs GNU/Linux (Android) After All

Android 1.0 ported to Nokia N810

,----[ Quote ]
| Developers at Linux consulting firm NthCode have ported Android 1.0 to
| Nokia's N810 Internet tablet -- and they explain how they did it in a
| detailed LinuxDevices whitepaper. The paper details the changes Google made
| to the Linux kernel, and offers step-by-step porting tips.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3641439368.html?kc=rss

Linux smartphones: Nokia remains the odd one out

,----[ Quote ]
| Ukko Lappalainen, vice president of Nokia's Nseries division, in an interview
| on the sidelines of the Nokia World 2008 conference in Barcelona said "In the
| longer perspective, Linux will become a serious alternative for our high-end
| phones,". In another interview with Reuters news agency Lappalainen also said
| Nokia will continue to develop its own maemo Linux platform: "I don't see
| anything in Android which would make it better than Linux maemo".
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/120006

Recent:

Is Android Google's Ticket into the Enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc.'s Android project could be the start of a much larger enterprise
| strategy, according to one industry analyst. But before the search engine
| giant can threaten Microsoft's enterprise supremacy, most observers of
| wireless industry efforts agree that the company's open source OS platform
| will need to regain support from its development community.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/151306/is_android_googles_ticket_into_the_enterprise.html

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/iphone-vs-android-an-open-sour.html

Nokia eyes wider use of Linux software in phones

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest mobile phone maker, Nokia, could start to use open-source
| Linux software on its more expensive phone models, a senior company official
| said on Tuesday.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/internetNews/idUSTRE4B16IO20081202

Nokia dismisses Android, eyes Linux for its high-end phones

,----[ Quote ]
| On the day Nokia unveiled the power-packed Nokia N97 in Barcelona, vice
| president at Nokia’s markets unit Ukko Lappalainen took time to comment on
| the possibility of seeing Linux on more of their phones, as well as the
| open-source Google Android platform.
`----

http://www.unwiredview.com/2008/12/02/nokia-dismisses-android-eyes-linux-for-its-high-end-phones/

Android not for Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has admitted Linux could take centre stage on future high-end handsets,
| but has dismissed adopting Android.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/240480/android-not-for-nokia.html

Home Automation the Nokia Way

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia has opened a home automation project based around a Linux platform.
| They say you will be able to control your home from a browser or tablet or a
| cellphone. Direct to the project page.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/11/29/54957

Nokia alludes to Linux phone plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia may move to Linux for some of its higher end smartphones, a senior
| official was quoted as saying in a Reuters article. Nokia VP Ukko Lappalainen
| was quoted as saying, "In the longer perspective, Linux will become a serious
| alternative for our high-end phones."
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5340331149.html?kc=rss

Nokia spins open Linux home automation gateway

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia announced a home automation system based on the open source OpenWrt
| Linux distribution. Due in late 2009, the Z-wave wireless radio-equipped
| Nokia Home Control Center will let users remotely control security,
| automation, and energy management applications via their mobile phones, says
| Nokia.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3513779569.html?kc=rss

Nokia looks beyond Symbian to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With a 47.9 percent stake in Symbian, the leading mobile platform that it
| co-founded in 1998 and which today powers some 206 million mobile phones,
| Nokia has long championed it at the expense of rival platforms such as Linux.
|
| No longer.
|
| The mobile-phone maker is increasingly selecting Linux for Internet-enabled
| mobile devices, with its CFO declaring of Linux, "It's going to be terribly
| important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9949262-7.html

Related:

Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia’s Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating
| system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest ‘Hardy Heron’ v8.04 of
| Ubuntu this week.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/nokia-embraces-ubuntu-os--330238

Nokia does not get it

,----[ Quote ]
| You better start playing by the rules because else the other companies might
| do it faster than Nokia and you will lose the opportunity. Oh: And just as a
| remind: when you go open source, you must play by the rules by honoring the
| license of the software.
|
| Really, it’s sad to listen to things like this from someone controlling the
| company who owns Trolltech  I am sure that the vice-president of companies
| like Red Hat wouldn’t say nonsense like the above. But it’s no surprise
| coming from someone in a company that seems to be absolutely in favor of
| software patents in Europe according to FFII.
`----

http://edulix.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/nokia-does-not-get-it/

Ari Jaaksi of Nokia Wants to Educate the Linux Community

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/11/43198