Re: [News] Red Hat CEO Foresees Expansion

Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 11:22:14 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>| A: We believe that open source will continue to take share away from
>>| proprietary alternatives, because it is a fundamentally superior development
>>| model. Open source develops better software faster and at a lower cost. Over
>>| time, this will pervade most areas of software.
>
> Believe it or not, I mostly agree with this to a point.  However, it's only
> generally true of a small percentage of open source software.  For example,
> the Linux kernel itself, Apache, Postgre, etc.. mostly kernel and server
> applications.
>
> However, you're pretty much stuck with what Open Source developers think
> you should want, rather than what you actually want.

And this is different from any other kind of development methodology
how?

In the end, if you want software to your exact personal
specifications, you either write it yourself, or hire someone to do a
custom job.

Neither generic FOSS, nor mass-market proprietary software can please
everyone.

Mart

--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.