[News] City Dumps Microsoft Office for OpenOffice.org

Katowice Municipality: saving public money with OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| The administration of the Polish city of Katowice is successfully introducing
| OpenOffice.org on its desktop computers, replacing the previously used
| proprietary office suite. Compatibility issues are minimal, and the move is
| freeing up budget to be used for other investments, such as more powerful
| hardware.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/case_studies/katowice-municipality-saving-public-money-with-openoffice.org

There's more of that a /national/ level.

open document protocol

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no doubt that the CONSEGI conference held earlier this year was a
| significant event and the outcomes and resolutions of the discussions held
| there are starting to have effect in a number of other forums. A modified
| version of the Brasilia Protocol was circulated and the only issue that
| countries that were considering signing this document had, is the time-frame
| that they can commit to. below is the open document protocol.
`----

http://www.raffee.co.za/post/61442793/open-document-protocol

Recent:

OpenOffice 3.0 a fresh blow for Microsft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's cash cow Microsoft Office is under further threat with the
| release of OpenOffice 3.0.
|
| Available for Windows, Mac and Linux, the free OpenOffice suite replicates
| much of the functionality of Microsoft's stalwarts such as Word and Excel. It
| also reads and writes to Microsoft Office formats and supports the
| OpenDocument Format (ODF) 1.2 standard.
|
| As of version 3.0, OpenOffice is now a native application for Mac OSX users,
| eliminating the need for the X11 X Windows environment.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/articles/openoffice-30-a-fresh-blow-for-microsft/2008/11/24/1227491461526.html

Tech Talk: Can’t afford Microsoft Office? No sweat ...

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org 3 is the leading open-source office software suite for word
| processing, spreadsheets, presentations, graphics, databases and more. It
| stores all your data in an international open standard format and can also
| read and write Microsoft Office files. It can be downloaded and used
| completely free of charge for any purpose.
`----

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20081125/NEWS/811259995/1066&ParentProfile=1051&title=Tech%20Talk%20Can%92t%20afford%20Microsoft%20Office%3F%20No%20sweat%20...
http://tinyurl.com/6fl7sq

Recent:

A look at OpenOffice Community Innovation Award winners

,----[ Quote ]
| Last December, Sun Microsystems first announced the million-dollar Community
| Innovation Program, which aims to encourage innovation in the six open source
| projects that the giant is involved with. Open source office software suite
| Open Office just so happens to be one of those projects, they have announced
| the winners for their Innovation Program contest.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/10/27/openoffice-community-innovation-award-winners-announced

Meeting OpenOffice.org developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Although OpenOffice.org is an open source project with its own community, the
| core team that does the bulk of the actual coding and quality assurance is
| based in Hamburg, Germany. Recently, I had a chance to visit the developers
| behind this key open source project. The Sun offices in Hamburg occupy three
| floors of a rather large business complex in an industrial area not far from
| downtown Hamburg. It's a surprisingly quiet and green area with a couple of
| decent restaurants around, which local businesses, including Sun, use for
| lunch breaks. The atmosphere in Sun's offices was relaxed, and I, in my shirt
| and shiny shoes, was definitely overdressed for the occasion. I was greeted
| by Ocke Janssen, one of three guys responsible for developing the
| OpenOffice.org Base application and the sole developer of the Sun Report
| Builder extension. He was later joined by Christoph Lukasiak, who manages the
| QA community.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/blogs/productivity_sauce_dmitri_s_open_source_blend_of_productive_computing/meeting_openoffice_org_developers

OpenOffice.org overwhelmed by demand for version 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager beavers keen to get their hands on the long-awaited arrival of version
| 3.0 of OpenOffice.org are currently unable to download the free, open
| source-flavoured suite of office apps because demand has broken the website.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/10/13/openoffice_org_download_website_dead/

Open Office vs. MS Office - the Other Key to Windows/Linux Transition

,----[ Quote ]
| So, if your excuse for not giving Linux a try was that you needed to be able
| to work with your Office documents... well, you just ran out of excuses.
| Think of what you will gain, too! No more suffering through all the
| gratuitous menu/toolbar/button changes that Microsoft makes in every new
| Office release. No more suffering through incompatible file formats between
| releases, which Microsoft seems to do every two or three releases - this is
| the second time it has happened that I can recall, and I assume that the
| recent OOXML debacle means that there is another change coming in the next
| Office release. Best of all, no more having to pay to upgrade to the new
| version every time Microsoft sees fit.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009002o-2000498448b,00.htm

The State of Kedah moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| A case study submitted to the Open Source Competency Center by the Center of
| Information Technology, Office of the Chief Minister and State Secretary of
| Kedah, has indicated that OpenOffice.org has been installed in 70% of the
| computers in the Kedah state government agencies. There are currently 2,202
| installed seats and by the looks of it, the numbers will just keep rising!
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/case-study-on-t.html

announcing the winner of the splash screen poll

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd like to announce the winner of the splash screen poll. We had a total of
| 789 votes, which is a quite good count! The winner is
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/08/announcing-winner-of-splash-screen-poll.html

The entire State of Pahang moves to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| Its just been made official that the State of Pahang is migrating all its
| productivity suites to OpenOffice.org. This succint memo from the State
| Secretary of Pahang entitled "Perlaksanaan Penggunaan Perisian OpenOffice.Org
| Di Semua Agensi dan Pentadbiran Negeri" (translated: "Implementation of
| OpenOffice.org suite in all State Agencies and Administrative centres")
| outlines the reasons for migrating, the benefits and how to proceed.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/08/the-entire-stat.html

90 things that are the same in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| I've put together three articles, showing tasks that are the same between
| Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2008/06/90-things-that-are-the-same-in-microsoft-office-and-openofficeorg.html

The Fall of Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same day that the state of New York published a report supporting open
| formats for electronic documents, mighty Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) said that
| it would support the open-source ODF format in Office 2007. Redmond's own
| Open Office XML specification may be heading for the great Recycle Bin in the
| sky, never to come back.
|
| [...]
|
| I can't say that Google or Sun or anybody else just won a bigger share of the
| office software market, and if they did, it won't help their revenue or
| profits directly anyway. But it's clear as day that Microsoft just took a
| serious hit, and the impact may take a long time to make itself felt but it
| will come.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/05/27/the-fall-of-microsoft-office.aspx

Is Microsoft Office in trouble?

,----[ Quote ]
| And, now Microsoft isn't hurrying to support its own format, but it is moving
| to support PDF and ODF... Could it be that all those copies of Office 2007
| Microsoft boasts of selling are collecting dust at reseller and retailer
| warehouses instead of being used on office systems? Could users be sticking
| with their older copies of Office and when they do want to move to something
| newer, they're moving to OpenOffice and Google instead?
|
| Interesting isn't it?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_office_in_trouble

Microsoft can’t support Open XML

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft can’t give users a compelling reason to switch from their old
| version of Office to Office 14 their cash-flow is going to slow down
| considerably.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/business/microsoft-cant-support-open-xml/

Is Office the new Netscape?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the cornerstones of Microsoft's competitive strategy over the years
| has been to redefine competitors' products as features of its own products.
| Whenever some upstart PC software company started to get traction with a new
| application - the Netscape browser is the most famous example - Microsoft
| would incorporate a version of the application into its Office suite or
| Windows operating system, eroding the market for the application as a
| standalone product and starving its rival of economic oxygen (ie, cash). It
| was an effective strategy as well as a controversial one.
|
| Now, though, the tables may be turning. Google is trying to pull a Microsoft
| on Microsoft by redefining core personal-productivity applications -
| calendars. word processing, spreadsheets, etc. - as features embedded in
| other products. There's a twist, though. Rather than just incorporating the
| applications as features in its own products, Google is offering them up to
| other companies, particularly big IT vendors, to incorporate as features in
| their products.
`----

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2008/05/one_of_the_corn.php

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

Open Office sweeps Sourceforge awards

,----[ Quote ]
| This must have left a mark on Microsoft.
|
| Microsoft was the diamond sponsor for this year’s Sourceforge Community
| Choice Awards, culminating last night in a party at the Jupiter Hotel in
| Portland.
|
| The big winner? Open Office. It swept the awards for top project, top
| enterprise project, and top project in education.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2695

Photos: Open Office 3 new features

,----[ Quote ]
| The third major release of the OpenOffice.org office productivity suite made
| its appearance on Monday — meeting with such apparent demand that the
| OpenOffice.org servers promptly crashed. At the time of writing on the
| following day, the organisation still has only a cut-down homepage, listing
| mirror sites from which the suite can be downloaded.
|
| One major reason for the significance of OpenOffice 3 is the fact that it can
| run natively on the Mac — previously, it needed to be run within a windowed
| X11 session. But the suite has had many other enhancements, one of which is
| the welcome screen shown in this screenshot.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Photos-Open-Office-3-new-features/0,130061733,339292660,00.htm

OpenOffice.org 3.0 - Stop Paying Microsoft for Bug Fixes!

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is, if you are still using and paying for Microsoft Office,
| you're wasting your money AND you're working too hard. In the business
| climate we have today, I don't see how many people or companies can afford to
| do that.
|
| Give OpenOffice 3.0 a chance.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10009532o-2000498448b,00.htm?new_comment

Getting The Word Out About OpenOffice.org 3

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org 3 is here at last. It's an evolutionary change from 2, not a
| revolutionary one, and if deployed right it could be yet another nibble out
| of Microsoft's big Office cookie. The trick is how to get the word out.
|
| For a long time, OO.o's depended on four things to gain traction: the fact
| that it's free; a small but significant set of corporate sponsors (Sun and
| IBM, mainly); frustrations with Microsoft Office -- mainly the price tag; and
| word of mouth. The last of those four, I'd put money down as being one of the
| most powerful: the word of someone you trust goes much further than
| advertising.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/10/getting_the_wor.html

OpenOffice.org: OpenOffice.org 3.0 breaks through 390,000 downloads in a day!

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org 3.0 in its first day in Italy has moved much more bytes
| (4,7TeraBytes), roughly corresponding to 580,000 Firefox’s downloads, while
| during the Firefox Guiness World Record “only” 320,000 downloads were
| actually done.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/10/14/openofficeorg-openofficeorg-30-breaks-through-390000-downloads-in-a-day/

OpenOffice.org 3.0 now in a browser with Ulteo!

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest and full featured version of OpenOffice.org 3.0 is now available
| through Ulteo.com using a web browser with a single click of a mouse. No
| download or installation process of the productivity suite is required.

OpenOffice.org and archiving

,----[ Quote ]
| At the ODF Workshop last week, a number of the delegates were asking about
| the right way to handle archiving of their documents. Obviously ODF offers a
| baseline file format that promises long-term readability and editability, but
| the question remains of how best to handle files. With the release of
| OpenOffice.org 3.0, there are now two alternatives, and we heard at the
| conference of a third alternative coming in the future from ODF.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/openoffice_org_and_archiving

Office without the MS

,----[ Quote ]