[News] GPU Driver Installation in GNU/Linux Smooth & Easy

  • Subject: [News] GPU Driver Installation in GNU/Linux Smooth & Easy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 12:57:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Flipping the Linux switch: Envy, no longer a deadly sin

,----[ Quote ]
| Our experience with Envy has been largely very positive. It has gotten
| drivers successfully installed on systems that were being very temperamental.
| We have never experienced problems with it that go beyond the problems we
| were already having with our drivers.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/02/08/flipping-the-linux-switch-envy-no-longer-a-deadly-sin/

10 days in linux

,----[ Quote ]
| # Always use envy to install your drivers. For whatever reason, the default
| restricted installer doesn’t install a very good driver.
`----

http://meg-tech.com/?p=62

OpenSolaris Ships RadeonHD Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Since last September when AMD's new open-source strategy was unveiled, their
| xf86-video-radeonhd driver and NDA-free documentation efforts have largely
| been to improve its Linux customer base. However, with this open community
| enablement, it has also led to an improved ATI hardware status in Sun's
| Solaris Operating System. Introduced in Build 80 of OpenSolaris was the
| RadeonHD display driver and this R500/600 driver has now appeared in Solaris
| Express Developer Edition 1/08 and Project Indiana Preview 2.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=996&num=1

Related:

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD Releases 900+ Pages Of GPU Specs

,----[ Quote ]