Re: Yahoo Board to Spurn $44B Microsoft Bid

____/ [H]omer on Sunday 10 February 2008 07:59 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
>
>> http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UN0LIO1&show_article=1
>>
>>> Yahoo Board to Spurn $44B Microsoft Bid
>>> Feb 9 03:16 PM US/Eastern
>>> By MICHAEL LIEDTKE
>>> AP Business Writer
>>>
>>> SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Yahoo Inc.'s board will reject Microsoft
>>> Corp.'s $44.6 billion takeover bid after concluding the unsolicited
>>> offer undervalues the slumping Internet pioneer, according to a
>>> person familiar with the situation.
>
> Pity.
>
> I would've loved to see the Vole burn yet another hole in its pocket,
> but if stock devaluation (at both companies), and takeover resistance
> hadn't stymied the deal, then antitrust regulations would've finished
> it anyway:
>
> .----
> | As it examined ways to thwart Microsoft, Yahoo considered an
> | advertising partnership with Google—an alliance long favored by
> | analysts who believe it would boost the profits of both companies.
> | It was unclear Saturday if Yahoo's plans for boosting its stock
> | price include a Google partnership, which would probably face
> | antitrust issues.
> |
> | A Microsoft takeover of Yahoo would also be scrutinized by
> | antitrust regulators in the United States and Europe. The antitrust
> | uncertainties could be cited as one of the reasons that Yahoo's
> | board decided to spurn Microsoft.
> `----
>
> If MS try to force the deal through with bullying tactics, that'll just
> make the antitrust case stronger IMHO, so it seems this deal is very
> much DOA. Of course the Vole will keep trying, but frankly I think this
> may be their last shot, for many reasons, not least of which because
> Yahoo seems to be slipping into the abyss even quicker than they are.

They could do the outsourcing agreement with Google and benefit both companies
at Microsoft's expense. I've looked through about 300 headlines about this
early in the morning and it doesn't seem likely that Microsoft will raise the
bid. In fact, it already needs a big loan and this whole bid stupidity leaked
out many damaging secrets. I'll post about it in the afternoon when I get
back. It's nice and sunny today...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M