[News] Google Hurts Microsoft, No Grubby Hands on Our Flickr (Microsoft Rejection, Trouble)

  • Subject: [News] Google Hurts Microsoft, No Grubby Hands on Our Flickr (Microsoft Rejection, Trouble)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 02:43:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Facing Free Software, Microsoft Looks to Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| The advantage of the Google program, he said, was that it allowed him to keep
| his information on Google’s servers so that it was accessible at any
| computer, whether he was working at his fraternity, a coffee shop, a campus
| computer bank or the library. The experience, he said, has persuaded him not
| to pay money for software.
|
| “I don’t ever see myself buying a copy of Office,” he said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/technology/09free.html?ex=1360299600&en=56e96b64962f6cee&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Matt has already mentioned this one:

Yahoo Board to Reject Takeover Bid From Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo’s board of directors plans to reject Microsoft’s $44.6 billion hostile
| bid with a letter Monday saying the offer undervalues Yahoo, a person
| familiar with the matter said Saturday.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/09/technology/09cnd-yahoo.html?_r=2&ex=1360299600&en=0a10211874f4e291&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
http://tinyurl.com/2h7js2

So what have we here? Microsoft showed that  it needed loans (a weakness), it
showed that it had given up on its own Web division, its stock crashed and
eventually it was all for nothing. Next week the company will do reorgs and
maybe lose some top people, including a VP. The cash cow is already under
probe (OOXML corruptions).

Related:

Google manager: Google Apps replaced Microsoft Office at 100,000 businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's newly released online productivity suite Google Apps has
| already replaced Microsoft Office at more than 100,000 small to
| medium enterprises and has been deployed at two of the largest
| companies in the world, according to the search leader's
| enterprise product boss.

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Microsoft counts on Vista to recharge stagnant stock

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time in the 1990s when shares of Microsoft stock seemed to
| double every couple of years. 1996: college for the kids. 1998: a place
| on Whidbey. 1999: early retirement.
|
| Times have changed.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003437957_vista19.html

Commentary: Microsoft needs more than just buybacks to lift its shares

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares, which have been dormant for the last few years,
| have been looking up over the last couple months. The Dow industrials
| component has gained about 20% since hitting a 4-year low of $21.46 o
| June 13.
|
| To help move things along, Microsoft not only launched a $40 billion
| stock repurchase program that lasts through 2011, the company also said
| its previously announced 4-year, $30 billion stock buyback program was
| completed in just 2 years.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B685EFB89%2D5791%2D4E8B%2DAD6A%2D9688F5B6012A%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

Software Notebook: Microsoft's cash pile isn't what it used to be

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/309852_software02.html