Re: [News] KDE's Krita Named a Good Alternative to Proprietary Software

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 09 February 2008 15:18 : \____

>> ____/ [H]omer on Saturday 09 February 2008 03:13 : \____
>
>>> Installing now, so I'll let you know what I think later.
>>
>> I haven't tried it, but it's already installed on my machines. It can
>> do some stuff that can't be done with the GIMP, but I've used the
>> GIMP since 2002, so I'm very comfortable with it.
>
> I've just have a look, and it certainly does the job, but other than the
> colour matching and 32bit colour space support, there's little to
> differentiate it from the Gimp. In fact there's little to differentiate
> either one of them from Photoshop either ... except the price of course.
> Photoshop really is the most extraordinarily over-hyped product ever.

I used it as a teenager. paintshop too. Although I have not used it in my 20s
(newer versions), it's very clear that the GIMP is more powerful than
Photoshop was _at the time_. If you do graphics 40 hours a week, then it's
very reasonable to want Photoshop. But just how many people do graphics full
time?

>> I think that Google recently funded Krita.
>
> They fund, host, and develop a Hell of a lot of Free Software. Their
> annual Summer of Code initiative is one of the best things to happen in
> the industry for a very long time.

It also gets people off their back. They are still in OIN and they devour
Microsoft cash in enterprise applications, including mail, which weakens the
Beast. All in all, it's hard to complain. Moglen asked gently for them to give
away some more code.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "All your archives are (sic) belong to Google"
 17:00:01 up 16 days,  2:54,  3 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.91, 1.41