[News] Linux Gains Popularity in the Enterprise

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gains Popularity in the Enterprise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:13:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Enterprise OS Emerges Above Platform Layer

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the trends we will definitely see continuing into the new year is that
| of enterprise customers demanding open source solutions above and beyond the
| traditional demand for Linux.
|
| Linux has made huge headway in the enterprise market with customers
| increasingly realising the advantages of using Linux as a platform for their
| solutions.
`----

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/industryinsight/opensource/vanstaden080207.asp?A=COV&S=Cover&T=Section&O=C

On the other hand, Windows is still a struggle, even with a disappointing
SP1...

Installing Service Packs are like swimming?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty standard stuff, but one thing was quite peculiar:
|
|     After you uninstall Service Pack for Windows (KB936330), we recommend
|     that you wait at least one hour before you try to install the final
|     release of Windows Vista SP1.
|
| Is this to prevent cramping?   Is this an inside joke?
`----

http://jeftek.com/windows/installing-service-packs-are-like-swimming/

Related and recent:

French police deal blow to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft
| for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest
| administrations in the world to make the break.
`----

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iU4Lq7tOR_WVOJLZ3IeRaIH03x6w

Nortel considers Linux desktops for its staff

,----[ Quote ]
| Nortel CIO Steve Bandrowczak, who joined the Canadian telecoms and network
| equipment vendor last July, said "more and more CIOs are looking at Linux
| desktop for reasons of TCO" and argued that the technology "is receiving the
| same level of attention today as when Linux started on servers."
`----

http://www.mbtmag.com/articleXml/LN731846314.html

Related:

FAA May Ditch Microsoft's Windows Vista And Office For Google And Linux Combo

,----[ Quote ]
| Bowen said he's in talks with the aviation safety agency's main
| hardware supplier, Dell Computer, to determine if it could
| deliver Linux-based computers capable of accessing Google
| Apps through a non-Microsoft browser once the FAA's XP-based
| computers pass their shelf life.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197800480

Adios Microsoft!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu imported most of my pictures, music, and documents from Windows.
| There were some oddly named folders it missed. This was not problem as
| I was able to easily retrieve them when the setup was complete. I
| haven't reinstalled everything I normally use but all the major
| applications "just worked" after upgrading. I know this sounds
| like an advertisement for Ubuntu, I guess it is. I'll continue
| using it and report back on my progress.
`----

http://blog.fon.com/en/archive/technology/adios-microsoft.html

Windows Vista, The best thing that ever happened to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Millions of these units have been ordered by Countries such as
| Nigeria and Libya and pretty soon there will be millions of
| children around the world with Linux as their first operating
| system.
|
| In stark contrast Microsoft have just released Windows Vista,
| probably the most resource hungry Operating System ever, for
| the PC platform.
`----

http://www.otezz.net/windows-vista-the-best-thing-that-ever-happened-to-linux/

Linux gains despite and because of Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the heightened competition over the last two quarters from
| Microsoft-Novell and a move by Oracle to undercut Red Hat on the cost of Red
| Hat Linux support service, Red Hat has reported double-digit growth in
| revenue and an increase in profit.
|
| “The success of Red Hat has been able to validate the future potential for
| open source software,” Szulik says.
|
| Emerging countries are also lucrative markets for Linux, says IDC’s Gillen,
| because there isn’t as much of the legacy Windows technology to have to
| displace.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/072507-linux-microsoft-gains.html?page=3

Open source and Linux looking better every day

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista Home Basic - How do you figure out all these different
| versions available? Thankfully a desktop shortcut to download
| an upgrade - the upgrade treadmill head start program?
|
| [...]
|
| Added openSUSE - dual boot, so I can use both.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/?q=node/14993

Linux Says Bye-bye Windows XP!

,----[ Quote ]